[tor-qa] Introducing hardened builds for 64bit Linux

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Oct 21 20:28:35 UTC 2015

Georg Koppen:
> anonym:
>> Also, when I exited I got:
>>
>>     ASAN:SIGSEGV
>>     =================================================================
>>     ==8134==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: SEGV on unknown address
>> 0x000000000000 (pc 0x000000000000 bp 0x7ff4e4eeeffa sp 0x7ffdad284918 T0)
>>     ==8134==Hint: pc points to the zero page.
>>
>>     AddressSanitizer can not provide additional info.
>>
>> and then ~a minute of nothing with the process still running, and then:
>>
>>     ASAN:SIGSEGV
>>     ==8294==AddressSanitizer: while reporting a bug found another one.
>> Ignoring.
>>
>> and then ~another minute of nothing, and then the process exited (code =
>> 1). I can reproduce this every time.
>
> Did you start the bundle via the start-tor-browser.desktop thing/the
> start-tor-browser script shipped with it or by other means? If the
> former any ideas on how to reproduce your crashes?

To give a bit more context to my questions: I just tested the hardened
bundle on a clean Debian Jessie on an old computer inside of VirtualBox
and still it exited cleanly and without any big delay (it is working for
me on Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian testing as well). I basically extract the
bundle, cd into tor-browser and run |./start-tor-browser.desktop --debug
--log|

Georg