[tor-qa] Introducing hardened builds for 64bit Linux

anonym anonym at riseup.net
Wed Oct 21 14:58:00 UTC 2015

Georg Koppen:
> Hi,
>
> we are about to start a hardened Tor Browser series and the first
> nightly for it is ready to get tested (on 64bit Linux systems):
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~gk/testbuilds/tor-browser-linux64-tbb-nightly-hardened_ALL.tar.xz
> https://people.torproject.org/~gk/testbuilds/tor-browser-linux64-tbb-nightly-hardened_ALL.tar.xz.asc

Very nice!

Are there any plans on a 32-bit Linux build soon? Nightly? We're quite
interested trying this out in Tails which, sadly, only has a 32-bit user
land (although it ships a 64-bit kernel, too).

Any way I tried it briefly on Debian Jessie with much success:

* Watching cats videos on YouTube in 720p without stuttering: Check! :)
* Done!

Seriously, though, I subjectively did notice some slowdowns on bloaty,
ad-heavy sites (think: news papers). I guess that is to be expected.
Also, when I exited I got:

    ASAN:SIGSEGV
    ==8134==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: SEGV on unknown address
0x000000000000 (pc 0x000000000000 bp 0x7ff4e4eeeffa sp 0x7ffdad284918 T0)
    ==8134==Hint: pc points to the zero page.

    AddressSanitizer can not provide additional info.

and then ~a minute of nothing with the process still running, and then:

    ASAN:SIGSEGV
    ==8294==AddressSanitizer: while reporting a bug found another one.
Ignoring.

and then ~another minute of nothing, and then the process exited (code =
1). I can reproduce this every time.

Cheers!