[tor-qa] Tor Browser 5.5a4 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sun Nov 1 13:36:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

Tor Browser 5.5a4 is ready for testing. Binaries can be found on

https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/5.5a4-build2/

It features an updated Firefox (38.4.0esr) and Tor 0.2.7.4-rc + a number
of other improvements. Most notably, we included Yan Zhu's fix for not
leaking the Referer header when leaving a .onion domain and finally
sorted out the HTTPS-Everywhere build problems allowing us to ship its
latest version in our bundles again. We fixed usability issues coming
with our font fingerprinting patches and included a new defense against
figerprinting users via available MIME types and plugins. Finally,
besides additional minor bug fixes and clean-ups, we included an updated
NoScript version.

The full changelog for build2[1] is:

Tor Browser 5.5a4 -- November 3 2015
 * All Platforms
   * Update Firefox to 38.4.0esr
   * Update Tor to 0.2.7.4-rc
   * Update NoScript to 2.6.9.39
   * Update HTTPS-Everywhere to 5.1.1
   * Update Torbutton to 1.9.4.1
     * Bug 9263: Spoof Referer when leaving a .onion domain
     * Bug 16620: Remove old window.name handling code
     * Bug 17164: Don't show text-select cursor on circuit display
     * Bug 17351: Remove unused code
     * Translation updates
   * Bug 17207: Hide MIME types and plugins from websites
   * Bug 16909+17383: Adapt to HTTPS-Everywhere build changes
   * Bug 16620: Move window.name handling into a Firefox patch
   * Bug 17220: Support math symbols in font whitelist
   * Bug 10599+17305: Include updater and build patches needed for
hardened builds
   * Bug 17318: Remove dead ScrambleSuit bridge
   * Bug 17428: Remove default Flashproxy bridges
 * Windows
   * Bug 17250: Add localized font names to font whitelist
 * OS X
   * Bug 17122: Rename Japanese OS X bundle
 * Linux
   * Bug 17329: Ensure that non-ASCII characters can be typed (fixup of
#5926)

Georg

[1] We are currently in the process of rebundling to include an updated
meek-amazon fingerprint in the final 5.5a4 (bug 17473).