[tor-qa] Tor Browser 5.0a1 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue May 12 11:12:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

the first alpha in the 5.0 series, Tor Browser 5.0a1, is ready and up
for testing at:

https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/5.0a1-build1/

As the 4.5.1 release it updates Tor Browser to Firefox 31.7.0esr and
fixes all the issues which are affecting the stable series as well.
Moreover, a new defense got implemented which reduces the resolution of
time available to JavaScript to 100 milliseconds for all time sources,
and to 250 milliseconds for keypress event timestamps. This is mainly
done to guard against various forms of performance fingerprinting and
time-based side channel attacks.

Additionally, we ship an improved version of our automatic window
resizing feature that should solve the major issues accompanying the
former one.

As always at this stage of the release process the Windows .exe files
are not signed with our DigiCert key yet.

The full changelog is:

Tor Browser 5.0a1 -- May 14 2015
 * All Platforms
   * Update Firefox to 31.7.0esr
   * Update meek to 0.18
   * Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.7.5
     * Translation updates only
   * Update Torbutton to 1.9.2.5
     * Bug 15837: Show descriptions if unchecking custom mode
     * Bug 15927: Force update of the NoScript UI when changing security
level
     * Bug 15915: Hide circuit display if it is disabled.
     * Bug 14429: Improved automatic window resizing
     * Translation updates
   * Bug 15945: Disable NoScript's ClearClick protection for now
   * Bug 15933: Isolate by base (top-level) domain name instead of FQDN
   * Bug 15857: Fix file descriptor leak in updater that caused update
failures
   * Bug 15899: Fix errors with downloading and displaying PDFs
   * Bug 15773: Enable ICU on OS X
   * Bug 1517: Reduce precision of time for Javascript
   * Bug 13670: Ensure OCSP respects URL bar domain isolation
   * Bug 13875: Improve the spoofing of window.devicePixelRatio
 * Windows
   * Bug 15872: Fix meek pluggable transport startup issue with Windows 7
 * Build System
   * Bug 15947: Support Ubuntu 14.04 LXC hosts via
LXC_EXECUTE=lxc-execute env var
   * Bugs 15921+15922: Fix build errors during Mozilla Tryserver builds

Georg