[tor-qa] Tor Browser 5.0.5 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sat Dec 12 22:33:42 UTC 2015

Hello tor-qa people!

Tor Browser 5.0.5 is ready for testing. Bundles can be found on

https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/5.0.5-build1/

Apart from the usual Firefox update (to version 38.5.0esr) this release
features a new Tor (0.2.7.6) + an updated OpenSSL (1.0.1q), NoScript
(2.7) and HTTPS-Everywhere (5.1.1). Moreover, we fixed an annoying bug
in our circuit display (circuits weren't visible sometimes) and improved
our fingerprinting defense against MIME type enumeration.

After testing the new build process for HTTPS-Everywhere in the last
alpha (5.5a4) we made the necessary changes to the code for the stable
channel as well. This allows us to ship the latest HTTPS-Everyhwere
versions again.

Last but not least: A number of bundles (en-US, de, fa, fr, nl, ru, tr
and zh-CN ones) will have a donation banner activated encouraging users
to donate money to us. Testing (the layout of) it in these locales on
different operating systems would be especially helpful. The banner is
visible on the about:tor page and should be so only ten times. It
features either Roger or Laura or Cory which is randomly chosen.

There are other features/bug fixes coming with this release which can be
found in the full changelog:

Tor Browser 5.0.5 -- December 15 2015
 * All Platforms
   * Update Firefox to 38.5.0esr
   * Update Tor to 0.2.7.6
   * Update OpenSSL to 1.0.1q
   * Update NoScript to 2.7
   * Update HTTPS Everywhere to 5.1.1
   * Update Torbutton to 1.9.3.7
     * Bug 16990: Avoid matching '250 ' to the end of node name
     * Bug 17565: Tor fundraising campaign donation banner
     * Bug 17770: Fix alignments on donation banner
     * Bug 17792: Include donation banner in some non en-US Tor Browsers
     * Translation updates
   * Bug 17207: Hide MIME types and plugins from websites
   * Bug 16909+17383: Adapt to HTTPS-Everywhere build changes
   * Bug 16863: Avoid confusing error when loop.enabled is false
   * Bug 17502: Add a preference for hiding "Open with" on download dialog
   * Bug 17446: Prevent canvas extraction by third parties (fixup of #6253)
   * Bug 16441: Suppress "Reset Tor Browser" prompt
   * Bug 17747: Add ndnop3 as new default obfs4 bridge

Georg