[tor-qa] Font debugging page (TBB 5.0a4)

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Aug 6 22:35:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 11:37:20PM +0200, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 08/06/2015 08:09 PM, Arthur D. Edelstein wrote:
> > If you add "Noto Serif Armenian" or "Noto Sans Armenian" to the lists
> > in the prefs "font.name-list.fantasy.x-unicode" and
> > "font.name-list.cursive.x-unicode" (these can be edited in
> > about:config) does that determine the font chosen for that code point
> > and allow you to get a checksum match?
>
> I tried the three options, adding one of each and adding both, including
> browser restarts in between, but that didn't affect the checksum at all.

Same here. I tried adding the strings in both orders to the end of the
list, with checksum 1-83e97f7d in every case.

I noticed the original settings had what seems to be an erroneous
backslash after "Noto Sans Lao":
	Noto Serif, Noto Sans Canadian Aboriginal, Noto Sans Cherokee, Noto Sans Lao\, Noto Sans Myanmar, Noto Sans Mongolian, Noto Sans Thaana, Noto Sans Yi, Noto Serif Lao
I removed it, and still no change.

There's a way to get Fontconfig debugging information with the FC_DEBUG
environment variable. It's been a while since I had to do it, but the
details are in "man fonts-conf" (http://linux.die.net/man/5/fonts-conf):
         MATCH            1    Brief information about font matching
         MATCHV           2    Extensive font matching information
         EDIT             4    Monitor match/test/edit execution
         FONTSET          8    Track loading of font information at startup
         CACHE           16    Watch cache files being written
         CACHEV          32    Extensive cache file writing information
         PARSE           64    (no longer in use)
         SCAN           128    Watch font files being scanned to build caches
         SCANV          256    Verbose font file scanning information
         MEMORY         512    Monitor fontconfig memory usage
         CONFIG        1024    Monitor which config files are loaded
         LANGSET       2048    Dump char sets used to construct lang values
         OBJTYPES      4096    Display message when value typechecks fail
So if you want MATCHV, FONTSET, and CONFIG output, then you add
2+8+1024=1034 and set FC_DEBUG=1034 before starting the program.