[tor-qa] Tor Browser 4.5 is ready for testing

Katya Titov kattitov at yandex.com
Fri Apr 24 09:44:04 UTC 2015

Georg Koppen:
> Hi,
>
> we are excited to announce the first stable version in the 4.5 series
> being ready for testing. It will be the next alpha as well. Bundles
> can be found on
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/builds/4.5-build4/
>
> Compared to 4.5a5 we were able to put another couple of important
> usability fixes into this release. We improved HTTP connection
> handling, the HTTP authentication experience and fixed the TLS
> connection display, to name a few. Moreover, we neutered Blob URIs to
> a great deal which can get used to track users across domains and,
> finally, brought all Tor Browser components up-to-date.
>
> The complete changelog since 4.5a5 is:
>
> Tor Browser 4.5 -- Apr 28 2015
>  * All Platforms
>    * Update Tor to 0.2.6.7 with additional patches:
>    * Update NoScript to 2.6.9.22
>    * Update HTTPS-Everywhere to 5.0.2
>    * Update meek to 0.17
>    * Update obfs4proxy to 0.0.5
>    * Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.7.4
>    * Update Torbutton to 1.9.2.1

**
I attempted to update using
tor-browser-linux64-4.5a5-4.5_en-US.incremental.mar and ended up with
the following errors:

    ERROR: There must be at least one signature.
    ERROR: Not all signatures were verified.
    ERROR: There must be at least one signature.
    ERROR: Not all signatures were verified.

and so downloaded the full version instead. I haven't tried the MAR
update before with the 4.5 series, but followed the same process as with
the 4.0 series.
**

**
HTTPS-Everywhere is v 5.0.3, not 5.0.2
Torbutton is v 1.9.2.0, not 1.9.2.1
**

Testing: tor-browser-linux64-4.5_en-US.tar.xz
Platform: Debian 7.8
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10GHz

Tor *v0.2.6.7* (git-ac600bec40c14864)
Libevent 2.0.21-stable
OpenSSL 1.0.1m
Zlib 1.2.7
Firefox: 31.6.0 (Tor Browser 4.5)

TBB Launches successfully: yes
Connects to the Tor network: yes

All extensions are present and functional: yes
 - HTTPS-Everywhere *5.0.3*
 - NoScript *2.6.9.22*
 - TorButton *1.9.2.0*
 - TorLauncher *0.2.7.4*

WebBrowsing works as expected
 - HTTP, HTTPS, .onion browsing works
 - HTML5 videos work (http://videojs.com/)
 - http://ip-check.info/?lang=en - ok
 - https://panopticlick.eff.org/ - one in 584,881 browsers,
                                   19.16 bits of identifying information

SOCKS/external apps (Torsocks) work as expected: yes

--
kat