[tor-qa] Tor Browser 4.0 is ready for testing

Sherief Alaa sheriefalaa.w at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:55:29 UTC 2014

On 10/13/2014 12:18 PM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tor Browser 4.0 is up for testing:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/builds/4.0/
>
> This is the first release in the 4.0 stable series and contains
> most notably the switch to Firefox ESR 31 as the base for Tor
> Browser and the switch to the 0.2.5.x series for tor. Moreover,
> the updater in Tor Browser is shipped for the first time to stable
> users which replaces the cumbersome and manual update process we
> currently have.

Testing: torbrowser-install-4.0_ar.exe
OS: Windows 7 64-bit

[Components]
31.2.0 (Tor Browser 4.0)
Torbutton 1.7.0.1
NoScript 2.6.9
HTTPS-Everywhere 4.0.1
Default search engine: Startpage

[Tests]
Added a bridge - OK
Socks5 - OK
HTML5 video playback - OK
http/https/onion websites - OK
Clears history/cookies/session on “New Identity” - OK
Localization files present - OK

Testing: TorBrowser-4.0-osx32_en-US.dmg
OS: Mac OS X 10.9.5

[Components]
31.2.0 (Tor Browser 4.0)
Tor v0.2.5.8-rc (git-cc2477cc002ac542)
Torbutton 1.7.0.1
NoScript 2.6.9
HTTPS-Everywhere 4.0.1

[Tests]
Added a bridge - OK
Socks5 - OK
HTML5 video playback - OK
http/https/onion websites - OK
Clears history/cookies/session on “New Identity” - OK

Notes:
+ Since Tor Browser 4.0 includes an updater, why does TorButton still
point users to the website when it can also point them to the update menu?

+ While testing on OS X, I noticed that in the "Apps using significant
energy" battery menu that "TorBrowser.app.meek-http-helper" is running
but I never chose to run meek to begin with (only obfs3).

- --
Sherief Alaa
pgp 0x8623B882