[tor-qa] Tor Browser 4.5-alpha-1 is ready for testing

Sherief Alaa sheriefalaa.w at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:11:44 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 02:01 PM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are happy to announce the first alpha in the 4.5 series. It contains
> a bunch of new things most notably the isolation of browser streams by
> URL bar domain, the obfs4 pluggable transport, a tor based on the 0.2.6
> series, 64bit only OS X bundles, a first implementation of the security
> slider and a backport of the certificate pinning functionality.
> Furthermore, it includes updates, bugfixes and minor new features. The
> bundles can be found at:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/builds/4.5-alpha-1/
>
> a signed SHA256 sums file is in
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/4.5-alpha-1/
>
> Feedback and bug reports are greatly appreciated.
>
> The full changelog is:
>
> Tor Browser 4.5-alpha-1 -- Nov 3 2014
>  * All Platforms
>    * Bug 3455: Patch Firefox SOCKS and proxy filters to allow user+pass
> isolation
>    * Bug 11955: Backport HTTPS Certificate Pinning patches from Firefox 32
>    * Bug 13019: Make JS engine use English locale if a pref is set by
> Torbutton
>    * Bug 13301: Prevent extensions incompatibility error after upgrades
>    * Bug 13460: Fix MSVC compilation issue
>    * Update Tor to 0.2.6.0-alpha
>    * Update NoScript to 2.6.9.3
>    * Update Torbutton to 1.8.0.1
>      * Bug 9387: Provide a "Security Slider" for vulnerability surface
> reduction
>      * Bug 13019: Synchronize locale spoofing pref with our Firefox patch
>      * Bug 3455: Use SOCKS user+pass to isolate all requests from the
> same url domain
>      * Bug 8641: Create browser UI to indicate current tab's Tor circuit IPs
>      * Bug 13651: Prevent circuit-status related UI hang.
>    * Bug 13586: Make meek use TLS session tickets (to look like stock
> Firefox).
>    * Include obfs4proxy pluggable transport
>  * Windows
>    * Bug 13443: Re-enable DirectShow; fix crash with mingw patch.
>    * Bug 13091: Make app name "Tor Browser" instead of "Tor"
>  * Mac
>    * Bug 10138: Switch to 64bit builds for MacOS
>
> Georg

Here's my initial testing results:
1) #8641 seems to be disabled, correct?
2) Because #9387's strings aren't translated yet, the whole Prefrences
window is filled with an error (I checked the Arabic version - it will
likely be the same for all untranslated languages).
3) When using the security slider at "High" it doesn't change of
NoScript's icon nor its menu selection options giving the user false
information about the current configuration of the addon.

That's it for now but expect something more thorough tomorrow night.

--
Sherief Alaa
pgp 0x8623B882