[tor-qa] Please test experimental bundles with meek transport (3.5.2.1-meek-1)

Colin C. admin at insecure-complexity.com
Thu Feb 20 01:46:12 UTC 2014

On 18/02/14 10:44 AM, David Fifield wrote:
> (Devs are in Iceland, post bundles.)
>
> Here are experimental bundles featuring the meek transport. I'm
> interested in hearing how well it works for you. You don't need to
> configure a bridge address; just click Connect.
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/3.5.2.1-meek-1/
>
> Here's some more on how it works. In short, your traffic gets routed
> through a web service in a way that is hard to block. In my opinion,
> this transport is turbo-sexy and is going to work for a lot of people.
> But don't take my word for it, see for yourself.
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-January/006159.html
>
> I've been using this transport for all my own Tor use for the last 10
> days. It feels a little bit slower than ordinary Tor, but you can still
> watch YouTube on it. On App Engine you pay for your bandwidth
> ($0.12/GB). There's $50 in the app account; so far it's cost $0.06. (You
> get 1 GB free each day, and only twice I exceeded that.) Part of my
> reason for exposing the transport to testers is to estimate how much it
> will cost to operate on an ongoing basis. If it's successful here, next
> we'll try tor-dev, then tor-talk, then the world.
>
> This is the branch from which the bundles were built:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/tor-browser-bundle.git/shortlog/refs/heads/meek
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/tor-browser-bundle.git/commitdiff/tbb-3.5.2.1-meek-1?hp=tbb-3.5.2.1-build2
>
> David Fifield

Testing: tor-browser-linux64-3.5.2.1-meek-1_en-US.tar.xz
Platform: Debian Wheezy
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

TBB Launches successfully - OK
Connects to the Tor network - OK
Browser toolbars and menus work. Tab dragging works. - OK
DNS - No leaks observed (wireshark)

OpenSSL - 1.0.1f

All extensions are present and functional -  OK
 - HTTPS-Everywhere 3.4.5
 - NoScript 2.6.8.13
 - Torbutton 1.6.6.0
 - TorLauncher 0.2.4.4

WebBrowsing works as expected - OK
 - HTTP, HTTPS, .onion browsing works
 - HTML5 videos work
 - ip-check.info - OK
 - samy.pl/evercookie - OK (new identity clears cookie)
 - phoul.github.io - websocket enabled

Other Notes:
 - Trac 10383 (accelerated curve support)
 - Transport seems to work great, congrats to all involved!

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10383

--
-Phoul