[tor-qa] Please test experimental bundles with meek transport (3.5.2.1-meek-1)

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Feb 18 16:44:31 UTC 2014

(Devs are in Iceland, post bundles.)

Here are experimental bundles featuring the meek transport. I'm
interested in hearing how well it works for you. You don't need to
configure a bridge address; just click Connect.

https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/3.5.2.1-meek-1/

Here's some more on how it works. In short, your traffic gets routed
through a web service in a way that is hard to block. In my opinion,
this transport is turbo-sexy and is going to work for a lot of people.
But don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-January/006159.html

I've been using this transport for all my own Tor use for the last 10
days. It feels a little bit slower than ordinary Tor, but you can still
watch YouTube on it. On App Engine you pay for your bandwidth
($0.12/GB). There's $50 in the app account; so far it's cost $0.06. (You
get 1 GB free each day, and only twice I exceeded that.) Part of my
reason for exposing the transport to testers is to estimate how much it
will cost to operate on an ongoing basis. If it's successful here, next
we'll try tor-dev, then tor-talk, then the world.

This is the branch from which the bundles were built:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/tor-browser-bundle.git/shortlog/refs/heads/meek
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/tor-browser-bundle.git/commitdiff/tbb-3.5.2.1-meek-1?hp=tbb-3.5.2.1-build2

David Fifield