[tor-qa] Experimental 3.5.2 bundles with tor-fw-helper (trial 2)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Feb 15 23:41:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 01:20:34PM -0800, David Fifield wrote:
>  * NAT-PMP is completely disabled and removed. it didn't seem to be
>    working (maybe it is only for Apple routers)

That's correct -- pmp is Apple's version of upnp.

> These bundles are still nothing close to a release candidate. We'll need
> to find a way to limit how long port forwarding lasts, at least, and
> make sure that the UPnP library is safe to deploy.

For a historical note, when we were first putting in this port-forwarding
stuff, we had many problems with routers dropping our port forwarding
request earlier than expected. That's how we settled on the "make it
last forever and also re-request it every 15 minutes" (or whatever n is)
that we do now.

--Roger