[tor-qa] 3.5.4-meek-1 (meek bundles with browser TLS camouflage)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Apr 12 02:08:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 02:45:56PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> Please try these bundles, which are configured to run the meek transport
> automatically. What's different about these than past meek bundles, is
> that they use a web browser extension to make the HTTPS requests, so
> that the TLS layer looks like Firefox. They are built on top of the
> recent 3.5.4 release so they have the OpenSSL Heartbleed fix.
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/3.5.4-meek-1/
>
> With luck, the bundles will work for you without any special
> configuration. If you look at your network traffic while you are using
> them, you will see some HTTPS connections to www.google.com, and nothing
> to any Tor bridge or any protocol other than HTTPS.

Yep. Looks good, works out of the box for me. Nice.

A bit slower than normal Tor use -- what's the overhead that meek
introduces in terms of number of bytes that I send/receive compared to
the 'real' underlying bytes? Or might this slowness be that my cpu and
local computer is quite slow, so it's taking a while to load a whole
second firefox in the background? Or maybe this is the wrong list to
ask this question. :)

Also, is there a reason your bridge needs to still be on 0.2.4.6-alpha-dev?
https://globe.torproject.org/#/bridge/49395CD2424DF8ACFB4D580548A315A199EBD30F

--Roger