[tor-qa] 2.4.17-beta-2-obfs-flash1 (obfuscated flash proxy) bundles

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Oct 29 02:46:30 UTC 2013

Hello testers,

I have here a first test release of new "obfs-flash" bundles. What's
different about these is that when you use flash proxy in these bundles,
the payloads of the WebSocket messages will be obfuscated with obfs3
(you will see it called "obfs3_flashproxy" in torrc). It's part of a big
project we've had to combine different transports together, one you can
read about in ticket #7167.

https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/2.4.17-beta-2-obfs-flash1/

There is a known problem with this set of bundles on Windows. On
Windows, some transport processes (obfsproxy.exe and
flashproxy-client.exe) will continue running after you exit Tor and
Vidalia. You have to open the Task Manager and kill those processes
before running the bundle again. Read more about it here and in
following comments:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10006#comment:5
This problem was unexpected and will take some time to fix, but we are
working on it. If you are testing on Windows, remember to kill any
remaining obfsproxy.exe and flashproxy-client.exe processes after
exiting the bundle. GNU/Linux and Mac OS X should work fine.

Because of the problem in the previous paragraph, this build isn't going
to be released except to testers. But since GNU/Linux and Mac OS X
should work, we are interested in getting some early feedback.

The bundles are configured to start obfs2, obfs3, and obfs3_flashproxy
transports. obfs2 and obfs3 are the same as in previous releases and
don't need any special testing. If you want to test obfs3_flashproxy
specifically, you should comment out all the
	Bridge obfs2
	Bridge obfs3
lines, and leave the one line
	Bridge obfs3_flashproxy