[tor-qa] Quick test of 3.0-alpha-2

Katya Titov kattitov at yandex.com
Mon Jul 1 09:29:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 19:02:14 +1000
Katya Titov <kattitov at yandex.com> wrote:

> Mike Perry:
>
> > Finally, we have a 3.0 build that fully matched on two different
> > build machines for all bundles for the 3.0-alpha-2 series. I'm
> > still waiting on a third confirmation, but since these bundles
> > contain the 17.0.7-ESR security release (which is over a week old
> > now), I want to get them out ASAP.
> >
> > If anyone is willing to try these and report any major issues, that
> > would be great.
> >
> > I will be posting these on the blog as soon as I hear back from
> > Georg Koppen and get a detached signature from him and Linus
> > Nordberg.
> >
> > Here's my builds:
> > https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/3.0-alpha-2/
>
> Testing: tor-browser-linux64-3.0-alpha-2_en-US.tar.xz
> Platform: Debian 7.1
> Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10GHz
>
> [notice] Tor v0.2.4.14-alpha (git-f5729b8c1d45933f) running on Linux
> with Libevent 2.0.21-stable and OpenSSL 1.0.1e.
>
> Firefox ESR 17.0.7
>
> TBB Launches successfully - OK
> Connects to the Tor network - OK
> Browser toolbars and menus work. Tab dragging works - OK
>
> All extensions are present and functional -  OK
>  - HTTPS-Everywhere 3.2.2 (updated to 3.2.3 on launch)
>  - NoScript 2.6.6.6
>  - TorButton 1.6.0
>  - TorLauncher 0.2-alpha
>  - PDF Viewer 0.8.1
>
> WebBrowsing works as expected
>  - HTTP, HTTPS, .onion browsing works
>  - HTML5 videos work (http://videojs.com/)
>  - http://ip-check.info/?lang=en - OK
>  - https://panopticlick.eff.org/ - unique among 511,662, 18.96 bits of
>                                    identifying information
>
> SOCKS/external apps work as expected
>
> I still miss the Network Map which comes with Vidalia, but otherwise
> it's faster and works well

And from the Vidalia icon in the system tray it was possible to use a
new identity without disturbing the browser, whereas when changing
identity from the icon in the browser the whole browser closes and you
lose any open tabs.

Overall I see an improvement, however the two problems above,
especially the new identity problem, would be nice to have solved
before this becomes stable.
--
kat