[tor-qa] Vidalia standalone bundles for testing (TBB 3.x "mod")

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Thu Dec 19 18:38:41 UTC 2013

* Mark Smith <mcs at pearlcrescent.com> [2013:12:19 11:06 -0500]:
> I missed the fact that old configuration was present under
> ~/Library/Vidalia/  Sorry about that. After removing
> ~/Library/Vidalia, I see the same problem you see.
>
> Things seems to work if I create a directory structure like this:
>   Vidalia/Vidalia.app
>   Vidalia/Data/vidalia.conf
> and use the following as the initial contents of vidalia.conf:
>
> [General]
> LanguageCode=en
>
> [Tor]
> ControlPort=9151
> AuthenticationMethod=cookie
>
> and then start vidalia from a shell so I can pass -datadir like this:
>   cd Vidalia
>   ./Vidalia.app/Contents/MacOS/Vidalia -datadir ./Data
>
> Are you trying to avoid patching Vidalia or could we modify it to
> look next to itself for its data directory (e.g., use ./Data instead
> of ~/Library/Vidalia by default)?  If that was done, we could just
> ship Vidalia.app and Data/vidalia.conf.
>
> See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8811 for an older
> patch (which would need to be modified, but which shows the code we
> would need to change).

Ah, this is great! I was unaware of this ticket.

I am 100% fine with patching Vidalia and I like this more than I like the idea
of merely changing its default ControlPort (which would be a very easy but kind
of hacky change to make).

I will take further discussion about OSX and other packaging concerns for these
bundles to #8811, because for example I think people might have the expectation
that a standalone Vidalia will not write outside of its directory, and as far
as I know for the current setup that is not the case.