[tor-qa] Vidalia standalone bundles for testing (TBB 3.x "mod")

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Tue Dec 17 04:51:05 UTC 2013

Hi everyone!

We are accelerating the stable release of the TBB 3.x series because Firefox 17
ESR is no longer supported. In order to do this we need to make sure we have
some standalone Vidalia bundles that people can plug in so they are not too
disoriented by the change. A lot of us have been using the 3.x series for a
while, but plenty of people have not, and we don't want to upset them.

I have spent the evening trying to get together a functional batch. I have the
first pass available, with some known problems. Linux is able to display the
relay map and show your hops, but I haven't been able to make it work on
Windows or OSX yet. I would appreciate anyone figuring out what that issue
might be, but I will also look into it more tomorrow. I assume it is not
finding the geoip file correctly.

Here's how to test these:

1. Download

2. Extract *into your TBB 3.x directory*. This is important. They may work
outside of it, but it depends a lot on your system libs. I am sure they will
work *in* it and that is how they are "designed" right now (though longer-term
that will not be the case). If they work outside of your TBB 3.x directory that
is merely surprisingly good news. (But try it anyway, for fun.)

3. Run the start vidalia script. On Windows, this is Start Vidalia.exe. On OSX
and Linux it is start-vidalia.sh.

4. Let me know what happens!

Packages: https://people.torproject.org/~erinn/qa/vidalia-standalone-1/

sha256sums: https://people.torproject.org/~erinn/qa/vidalia-standalone-1/sha256sums-vidalia-standalone.txt.asc

Turnaround: Let's try to make this a relatively active discussion in the next
day or so; I know everyone is antsy to get 3.x stable, but there is still much
to do to make the release happen smoothly.

If you want to submit patches to me, my repo thus far (it is a MESS but it is
also almost 3am; forgive me, git gods) is here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/erinn/torbrowser.git/shortlog/refs/heads/maint-2.4

or: git clone -b maint-2.4 https://git.torproject.org/erinn/torbrowser.git

Thanks everyone!
Erinn