[tor-qa] TBB QA: tor-0.2.2.37

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sun Jun 10 05:20:31 UTC 2012

Thus spake Katya Titov (kattitov at yandex.com):

> Testing: tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-2.2.37-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz
> Platform: Debian 6.0.5
> Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10GHz

I think people can leave off CPU. What we care about here is if you're
using the x64 or i386 packages.

>  - https://panopticlick.eff.org/ - one in 223,553, 17.77 bits of
>                                    identifying information

Great test url, Katya. We have issues with how Panopticlick is run,
though. It has inherent bias against any change from established norms,
even if that change is in the direction of uniformity amongst a
population.

In particular, the largest sources of entropy in Panopticlick come from
our solutions to fingerprinting issues. The largest source of bits
(screen resolution) come from what is perhaps our most effective
reduction in information available to the fingerprinter:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4810#comment:3

Perhaps we should ask EFF to provide us with the Panopticlick source
code or so we can run a unique instance to evaluate TBB users only?

I've created this ticket for that:

If you have any comments or suggestions wrt the above, please comment on
the bugs or create a new tor-qa thread rather than reply here.

--
Mike Perry