[tor-project] cohosh's monthly status report, June 2024

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Mon Jul 1 18:50:49 UTC 2024

Hi! This is my status report for contract work done in June 2024.

# Reputation-based bridge distribution

Most of my work last month on reputation-based bridge distribution (Lox)
was focused on on-boarding onyinyang on how to maintain and work on the
integration of Lox with Tor Browser. In particular, how to reproducibly
build the Lox client into .wasm binaries, where to put these binaries in
Tor Browser, and how to test and debug the Lox module.

The Lox client updates also required a rebase of our wasm-bindgen fork
that produces the Javascript bindings for the Lox module to be able to
call from .wasm.

- Fixed the Lox database tests

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/lox/-/merge_requests/188

- Onboarded onyinyang on the Lox integration with Tor Browser

- Helped debug wasm-bindgen and lox-wasm update issues
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/lox/-/issues/71

- Reviewed merge requests and updated dependencies

# Snowflake webextension

We are still dealing with some of the effects of Mozilla's changes to
their requirements for web extensions. The consent prompt updates we
rolled out previously caused a sharp decline in proxies polling the
broker from both web stores. We have been iterating on fixing bugs and
incorporating UX feedback from users and have released new versions on
both stores. Progress is also being made on a manifest v3 prototype for
the Chrome web store.

- Looked into sharp decline of browser extension proxies
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/142

- Wrote up a forum post to guide users through snowflake browser
extension consent prompt

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/97

- Found and fixed a bug with the consent prompt flow

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/98

- Released v0.8.3 of the snowflake extension

- Fixed a few other bugs with the extension UX

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/merge_requests/77

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/merge_requests/76

- Added promo tile for Snowflake to Chrome web store

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/55

- Reviewed manifest v3 prototype

- Released v0.8.4 of snowflake browser extension

# Pluggable Transports

In addition to reproducing and documenting followups to some experience
reports about the SQS rendezvous feature, my work on PTs last month was
focused on requirements to reduce PT binary sizes in Tor Browser
android. I looked at two potential ideas for reducing binary sizes: by
integrating Conjure with Lyrebird and using go build tags in Snowflake.

- Reproduced reported SQS rendezvous bug with two bridges

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40363

- Followed up on idea to set SQS anonymous access policies

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40364

- Looked into the use of build tags to reduce snowflake binary size

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40362

- Reverted a bad dependency update in Snowflake

- Reviewed merge requests and updated dependencies

- Worked on squashing Conjure PT into lyrebird

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/lyrebird/-/issues/40015

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/conjure/-/issues/42