[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, March 2024

Pier Angelo Vendrame pierov at torproject.org
Mon Apr 1 08:26:47 UTC 2024

Hi everyone, here is my status report for March 2024.

This month, I continued the rebase on the Firefox Rapid Release channel.
I've arrived on par with mozilla-beta, i.e., I have a branch based on
Firefox 125b, and I'm following that channel. I'm trying to rebase my
branch onto each beta tag.
I've also fixed the various build and runtime errors, and the branch can
be built and used (even though this is seriously discouraged as it
hasn't been reviewed and we haven't done our audit work yet).
However, this is quite reassuring because it reduces the uncertainty of
our ESR transition work.
I've opened an issue [0] to document this process and all the conflicts
I had to merge manually, both trivial and non-trivial.

At a certain point, while working on this task, I implemented a script
that act as a helper for our usual rebase review procedures [1].
I'm sure it has a lot of margin for improvement, but it should handle
our most common cases.
My idea is to use it also for the script to perform continuous automatic
rebases of our branches. I wrote a proof of concept in 30 minutes, but
nothing was ready for production and/or publication. Still, I'm very
excited by the possibilities of automation we could implement.

Apart from that, I worked on refactoring our TorConnect module [2]. I
started it to fix an issue detected by the linter we've had for one year
and a half [3]. It was not trivial to fix, and eventually, I ended up
reorganizing the whole file, even though the contents haven't changed much.
At the end of the month, I also opened another merge request
specifically for error handling [4].
Together, they should hopefully help the further Android developments
other apps team members are working on.

Finally, I worked on some issues about fingerprinting vectors and helped
with our March releases.

Best,
Pier

[0]