[tor-project] major outage at Hetzner

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Sat Feb 4 02:54:39 UTC 2023

Hi,

We are witnessing a large outage at our main service provider,
Hetzner. According to the information we have gathered so far, four
switches (4!) have failed and that affects four (yes, again, 4!) of the
servers in the 8-node cluster.

Many services are down. We have not made a full inventory yet, but the
mail server is currently up so I'm using this time to send this
notification while we decide on short-term mitigations.

We hope this outage to be resolved shortly, but we do not have an ETA.

Stay tuned.

a.

PS: and yes, that affects the mechanics behind status.torproject.org so
we don't have an update on that site just yet. We have a backup plan for
that, but we never drilled for it, so it could take a while to setup.

--
Antoine Beaupré
torproject.org system administration