[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2022-03-24

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Thu Mar 24 16:38:21 UTC 2022

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:


And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

Next meeting: Thursday March 31th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

	* Our anti-censorship roadmap:
		* Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards
	* The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
		* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home
	* Past meeting notes can be found at:
		* https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
	* Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
		* All needs review tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
		* Sponsor 28
			* must-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10
			* possible tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None
		* Sponsor 96
			* https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24

== Announcements ==

	* We have a new developer in the Anti Censorship team: Itchy Onion
	* Circumvention Settings API is deployed

== Discussion ==

	* dnstt bridges
		* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/trac/-/issues/40001
	* Prepare all pieces of the snowflake pipeline for a second snowflake bridge(https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/28651#note_2787394)
		* Ratify design
		* Assign Broker Coding Task To Shell
	* {Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support} is ready to be reviewed again, now with handwritten SOCKS5-DNS
		* handwritten DNS to get around go stdlib mindset
		* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/64
	* archive state-of-censorship repo https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/state-of-censorship
		* supperseeded by moats censorship map
		* https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/rdsys-admin/-/blob/main/conf/circumvention.json

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

	* https://github.com/MatheusAvellar/snowflake-win
		* Tor's Snowflake, but for Windows.  IT DOESN'T WORK! 
		* No idea how they're interfacing C# code with WebRTC

== Reading group ==

	* We will discuss "Balboa: Bobbing and Weaving around Network Censorship" on April 7
		* https://www.usenix.org/system/files/sec21-rosen.pdf
		* https://censorbib.nymity.ch/#Rosen2021a
		* Questions to ask and goals to have:
			* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
			* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
			* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
			* Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
	     - Something you need help with.

anadahz: 2022-01-27
	Last week:
		- Increase timeout check cycles for default-bridge-felix-1 and default-bridge-felix-2 as they have been generating too many alerts: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/monit-configuration/-/merge_requests/1

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2022-03-24
Last week:
    - onboarded itchy onion onto s28 tasks
    - reviewed _5eba's snowflake-webext patches
    - reviewed pt event log scrubbing patch (snowflake!83)
This week:
    - continued work on conjure PT
    - continue to monitor snowflake broker stats
Needs help with:

dcf: 2022-03-24
	Last week:
		- discovered a problem with onion keys in the deployment of the interim snowflake bridge, and fixed it https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40110#note_2788622
		- spent some time looking at OONI snowflake bootstrap results, since the interim bridge https://explorer.ooni.org/chart/circumvention?since=2022-02-18&until=2022-03-21&probe_cc=RU%2CUS%2CDE
			- tried correlating with stunreachability measurements, but couldn't get that to work https://explorer.ooni.org/search?since=2022-03-16&until=2022-03-21&probe_cc=RU&test_name=stunreachability
		- commented on merge request to scrub pt.Log messages in snowflake-client https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/83#note_2790518
		- revised OTF rapid response grant application for a long-term snowflake bridge
	Next week:
		- make a post summarizing performance changes since switching to the interim bridge last week
	Help with:

agix: 2021-02-10
	Last week:
		- Continued work on gettor-twitter
		Next week:
		- Hopefully finish the task
	Help with:

arlolra: 2022-03-10
	Last week:
		- Pass bridge fingerprint in SOCKS param to the broker
	Next week:
	  - Revise !81
	  - Start on the next piece of the multiple bridge design
		- Figure out where in pion/webrtc ALPN should be configured and used
		- Maybe add Chacha20Poly1305 to pion/dtls
	Help with:

maxb: 2021-09-23
	Last week:
		- Worked on https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40054 re: utls for broker negotiation
		- Had conversation with someone about upstream utls http round tripper https://github.com/refraction-networking/utls/pull/74
		- Too busy with work :/
	Next week:
		- _Really_ want to get a PR for utls round tripper

meskio: 2022-03-24
	Last week:
			- deploy circumvention settings (bridgedb#40025)
			- add daily bridge rotation for circumvention settings anti listing (rdsys#79)
			- integrate telegram bot into rdsys (rdsys#77)
			- review OnionSproutsBot (telegram gettor) code and move forward the deployment of it
			- update obfs4-bridge docker image to use the latest obfs4proxy from debian backports (docker-obfs4-proxy!9)
			- archive state-of-censorship repo
	Next week:
			- telegram bot support for dynamic bridges (rdsys#77)

Shelikhoo: 2022-03-24
   Last Week:
       - [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64)
       - [Merge Request Done] uTLS for broker negotiation
		  - [Coding & Deployment] Proposal: Centralized Probe Result Collector (anti-censorship/team#54)
		  - [Discussion] Centralized Probe Log Collection Ascension Request
		  - [Discussion] Hosting Centralized Probe Log Collection Server on TPA managed VPS
		  - [Discussion] Prepare all pieces of the snowflake pipeline for a second snowflake bridge(https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/28651#note_2787394)
		  - [Demo] Introducation to V2Ray + Tor in Demo Day
   Next Week:
       - [Coding] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64) - built-in DNS
       - [Coding] Distributed Snowflake Bridges - Broker
HackerNCoder: 2021-12-16
This week:
        Setup web mirror on tor.encryptionin.space
        Get (new VPs with) new IP and setup new web mirror on new domain

hanneloresx: 2021-3-4
	Last week: 
		- Submitted MR for bridgestrap issue #14
	Next week:
		- Finish bridgestrap #14
		- Find new issue to work on
	Help with:

ln5: 2022-03-24
  Last week:
      - Received hardware for a new home for snowflake.tpn; discussed OS configuration with dcf in private email
  Next week:
      - Install Debian 11 on new snowflake.tpn
      - Possibly rack new snowflake.tpn, if I can get access and find time to do the transportation
  Need help with:
      - Input on urgency appreciated, for my planning
      - Input on preferred CPU configuration, esp wrt HyperThreading -- lacking input  before deployment in data centre, the machine will *not* have HT disabled and CPU bug mitigation will thus have to be carried out by the kernel

meskio | https://meskio.net/
 My contact info: https://meskio.net/crypto.txt
Nos vamos a Croatan.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: signature
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20220324/277e544a/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list