[tor-project] minutes from the TPA meeting

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Tue Mar 15 15:40:44 UTC 2022

Hi!

Here are your monthly TPA minutes, enjoy!

# Roll call: who's there and emergencies

anarcat, kez, lavamind, gaba are present. colchicifolium backups are
broken, and we're looking into it, but that's not really an emergency,
as it is definitely not new. see [issue 40650][].

[issue 40650]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40650

# TPA-RFC-15: email services

We discussed the [TPA-RFC-15][] proposal.

[TPA-RFC-15]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/wikis/policy/tpa-rfc-15-

The lack of IMAP services is going to be a problem for some personas
and should probably be considered part of the propsoal.

For approval, we should first send to tor-internal for comments, then
a talk at all hands in april, then isa/sue for financial approval.

# Dashboard review

We went through the dashboards:

 * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/boards/117
 * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/web/-/boards
 * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/tpa/-/boards

We moved a bunch of stuff to the icebox (particularly in the
gitlab-lobby and anon_ticket projects), and also made sure to assign
every ~Next ticket to someone in the web team. Generally, we only
looked at tickets associated with a Milestone in the web dashboard
because it's otherwise too crowded.

# Upcoming work parties

We're going to have those work parties coming up:

 * ganeti gnt-chi: on Tuesday, finish setting up the gnt-chi cluster,
   to train people with out of band access and ipsec

 * bullseye upgrades: in a week or two, to upgrade a significant chunk
   of the fleet to bullseye, see [ticket 40662][] where we'll make a
   plan and send announcements

[ticket 40662]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40662

# Holidays

anarcat is planning some off time during the first weeks of august, do
let him know if you plan to take some time off this summer.

# future of media.tpo

We discussed the future of media.tpo ([tpo/web/team#30][]), since it
mentions rsync and could be a place to store things like assets for
the blog and other sites.

anarcat said we shouldn't use it as a CDN because it's really just an
archive, and only a single server. if we need a place like that, we
should find some other place. we should probably stop announcing the
rsync service instead of fixing it, I doubt anyone is using that.

[tpo/web/team#30]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/team/-/issues/30#note_2785843>

# Other discussions

We briefly talked about colchicifolium, but that will be reviewed at
the next checkin.

# Next meeting

April 4th.

# Metrics of the month

 * hosts in Puppet: 87, LDAP: 87, Prometheus exporters: 143
 * number of Apache servers monitored: 25, hits per second: 301
 * number of self-hosted nameservers: 6, mail servers: 8
 * pending upgrades: 22, reboots: 1
 * average load: 0.92, memory available: 4.11 TiB/5.13 TiB, running processes: 646
 * disk free/total: 31.96 TiB/84.70 TiB
 * bytes sent: 331.59 MB/s, received: 201.29 MB/s
 * planned bullseye upgrades completion date: 2024-12-01
 * [GitLab tickets][]: 177 tickets including...
   * open: 0
   * icebox: 151
   * backlog: 9
   * next: 9
   * doing: 5
   * needs information: 3
   * (closed: 2643)

 [Gitlab tickets]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/boards

Upgrade prediction graph lives at:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/wikis/howto/upgrades/bullseye/

Now also available as the main Grafana dashboard. Head to
<https://grafana.torproject.org/>, change the time period to 30 days,
and wait a while for results to render.

--
Antoine Beaupré