[tor-project] bullseye upgrades, batch 2 final status update

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Thu Jun 23 16:02:30 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

So the second batch of Debian upgrades, as expected, took longer than
expected but I'm happy to announce that, as of today, we have completed
the upgrade of the second batch of servers to Debian 11 "bullseye".

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40692

That was almost 30 machines to upgrade, some which required service
admins or TPA to port things to Python 3!

We have also completed the upgrade of the main Ganeti cluster as well:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40689

... which means we only have three batches of servers left to do:

 * Sunet cluster, 4 machines to rebuild (see #40684):
   * cdn-backend-sunet-01
   * colchicifolium
   * corsicum
   * nutans
 * retirements, 5 machines to retire:
   * cupani/vineale (gitolite/gitweb, RFC to come, see #40472 for now)
   * moly/peninsulare (old virtual machine hosting, a bunch of VMs to
     retire, migrate, or rebuild as well, #29974)
   * subnotabile (survery.tpo, see TPA-RFC-26 and #40810)
 * "hard servers" batch, 4 machines to upgrade or rebuild:
   * alberti (LDAP, to upgrade, #40693)
   * eugeni (email, unsure, maybe rebuild, depends on TPA-RFC-31, #40694)
   * hetzner-hel1-01 (Nagios, undecided, rebuild or retire, #40695)
   * pauli (Puppet, unsure, upgrade or rebuild, #40696)

That is 13 machines left to deal with, out of 97. It's great progress,
but the numbers are a bit deceptive: many of those upgrades are "hard"
in that they require either migrating machines, retiring services, or
rebuilding services from scratch. Some upgrades, particularly Eugeni
(Mailman 3!  complex server) and Pauli (major Puppet upgrade, no Debian
support, complex server) are particularly tricky.

It's unlikely this will be all completed by the buster EOL date, which
is supposed to be in late July. But we can dream! I still hope to
realize that goal, but as a fallback, I hope to be done before the
bookworm freeze, planned in early 2023, at which point we plan to start
all of this over again, fresh with the knowledge we gained, and do a
*lot* of upgrades again!

(There's also some cleanup work that needs to happen in various places,
but that can be done after the EOL.)

So stay tuned for the rest of this exciting adventure. Details in the
TPA milestone here:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/tpa/-/milestones/5

And let me know if this is too noisy for tor-project.

A.
--
Antoine Beaupré
torproject.org system administration