[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2022-01-20

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Jan 20 17:03:49 UTC 2022

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-01-20-15.59.html

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday January 20th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Announcements ==

== Discussion ==

     resume posting weekly meeting notes?

     no strong feeling either way, but cohosh will resume because our
discussion notes are worth saving

     Kazakhstan shutdown

     shutdown ended 2022-01-11, and nothing new noticed since then

     China "Anti-Fraud" Webpage Redirection Censorship
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/censorship-analysis/-/issues/40026

     Reply from censored planet:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/censorship-analysis/-/issues/40026#note_2770405

     currently have no access to an affected vantage point

     RIPE Atlas?

     want to be able to test a large custom list of domains, to find out
(1) which are being blocked, and (2) whether the blocklist is the same
in different networks in China

     snowflake bridge load balancing migration next week?

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40091#note_2770360

     dcf can set up a server with adequate resources and the same keys

     change DNS to use this staging server while we make configuration
changes on the main server

     change DNS back when finished

     eclips.is (Greenhost) is having issues, a VPS with similar
resources is $100–200 / month, not a problem if only used for staging
for a week or so

     whom to contact about changing snowflake.torproject.net DNS records?

     snowflake.bamsoftware.com and snowflake.freehaven.net are already
CNAMEs for snowflake.torproject.net, so we only need to change the one

     https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/

     good idea to set a short TTL before making the change

     still don't now what to do about onion key rotation, short of
patching tor, or hacking LastRotatedOnionKey in the state file

     Copy TLS keys in addition to Tor's keys

     Reading group?

     2022-02-03

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

     https://fightcensorship.tech/ Icarus Project, an online repository
for documented Internet censorship circumvention techniques and methods

     https://internews.org/resource/optimashutdownworkflow/ The OPTIMA
Internet Shutdowns Advocacy Workflow

== Reading group ==

     We will discuss "Meteor: Cryptographically Secure Steganography for
Realistic Distributions" on 2022-02-03

     https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3460120.3484550

     https://eprint.iacr.org/2021/686

     https://meteorfrom.space/

     Questions to ask and goals to have:

     What aspects of the paper are questionable?

     Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

     Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

     Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others
will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
     This week:
         - What you worked on this week.
     Next week:
         - What you are planning to work on next week.
     Help with:

          - Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2022-01-20
Last week:
     - commented on snowflake metrics churn
     - lots of reviews
     - look at obfs4 vulnerability
     - documented reachability probe tests for shell
     - gave shell access to probe site in china
     - created MR to close NAT check peer connections snowflake-webext!25
This week:
     - more reviews
     - finish documenting and cleaning up shadow simulation scripts
     - use these snowflake + shadow scripts to do more performance testing
Needs help with:

dcf: 2022-01-20

     Last week:

     - tried to reproduce the snowflake webextension disabling screen
lock
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/36

     - did brief code inspection of probetest
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40071#note_2770241

     - disabled our standalone snowflake proxies to free up more CPU
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40094

     - set up another load-balanced snowflake bridge, this time with the
same identity keys
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40091#note_2770360
https://forum.torproject.net/t/tor-relays-how-to-reduce-tor-cpu-load-on-a-single-bridge/1483/14

     - noticed and posted about upstream obfs4 vulnerability fixes
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2022-January/000213.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2022-January/000215.html

     Next week:

     - do the load balanced snowflake bridge installation again, this
time on a production-capable host

     Help with:

agix:2021-01-13

     Last week:

     - Busy with work on Censored Planet

     Next week:

     - Continue work on gettor-twitter

     Help with:

     -

arlolra: 2022-01-20

     Last week:

     - [added 2022-01-20 by dcf] ALPN support for pion DTLS
https://github.com/pion/dtls/pull/415

     Next week:

     - Figure out where in pion/webrtc ALPN should be configured and used

     - Maybe add Chacha20Poly1305 to pion/dtls

     https://github.com/pion/dtls#planned-features

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40014#note_2764731

     Help with:

     -

maxb: 2021-09-23

     Last week:

     - Worked on
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40054
re: utls for broker negotiation

     - Had conversation with someone about upstream utls http round
tripper https://github.com/refraction-networking/utls/pull/74

     - Too busy with work :/

     Next week:

     - _Really_ want to get a PR for utls round tripper

meskio: 2022-1-20

     Last week:

     - metrics bridge distributor metrics for rdsys (rdsys#67)

     - don't distribute private bridges in rdsys (rdsys#84)

     - plan with TPA the test deployment of bridgedb (tpa/team#40581)

     - add country list to circumnvetion API (rdsys#83)

     - review snowlfake's event bus (snowflake!67)

     - telegram bot weekly rotation of bridges

     Next week:

     - select the type of bridges distributed by each distributor (rdsys#63)

     - test deployment for the new rdsys/bridgedb setup (rdsys#12)

Shelikhoo: 2022-01-20
    Last Week:
        - [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to
snowflake(snowflake!64)
        - [Merge Request Awaiting] Multi-arch docker image support with
Dockerfile refactor for probetest(probetest!1)
        - [Merge Request Awaiting] Add callbacks in the client for key
events during snowflake connections(snowflake#40076)
        - [Merge Request Pending] Privacy preserving stats in Snowflake
standalone proxy(snowflake#40079)

       - [Discussion] Implement metrics to measure snowflake
churn(snowflake#34075)

       - [Discussion] Proposal: Support for Dynamic IP obfs4 bridges
with unattended proxy information update(aka "Subscription")

       - [Discussion] Proposal: Push Notification Based Signaling Channel

       - [Investigate] Is there a better moat/snowflake SNI than
cdn.sstatic.net? (snowflake#40068)

       - [Investigate] Multi-instance Load Balanced Tor - Snowflake
Deployment

       - [Investigate] China "Anti-Fraud" Webpage Redirection
Censorship(censorship-analysis#40026)

    Next Week:
        - [Discussion] Designing the Container Layout for rdsys
        - [Discussion] Implement metrics to measure snowflake
churn(snowflake#34075)
        - [Discussion] Proposal: Push Notification Based Signaling Channel
        - [Discussion] rdsys Deployment Environment
        - [Merge Request] Add callbacks in the client for key events
during snowflake connections(snowflake#40076)
        - [Discussion] Proposal: Centralized Probe Result Collector

HackerNCoder: 2021-12-16
This week:
     Last/done:
         Setup web mirror on tor.encryptionin.space
     Next:
         Get (new VPs with) new IP and setup new web mirror on new domain

hanneloresx: 2021-3-4

     Last week:

     - Submitted MR for bridgestrap issue #14

     Next week:

     - Finish bridgestrap #14

     - Find new issue to work on

     Help with: