[tor-project] UX team meeting notes, February 8th

Duncan Russell duncan at botany.studio
Tue Feb 8 23:07:54 UTC 2022

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who made it to today's UX Team meeting! We’re looking forward to seeing you all again in a week’s time on February 15th.

Here are the minutes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-02-08-16.59.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-02-08-16.59.log.html>

Today we shared an update on our progress with the research and specification of the Tor VPN Client for Android (Sponsor 101), briefly discussed the UX Team roadmap for Q1, and reviewed Joydeep's user support report for January.

***

== User Experience Team Meeting ==

UX Team meetings happen every Tuesday at 1700 UTC in #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Here are the logs from our last meeting on February 8th:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-02-08-16.59.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-02-08-16.59.log.html>

== Useful links ==

About the UX Team:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/team <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/team>

UX repository:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux>

UX roadmap:
https://www.figma.com/file/n4ETd0cUkcfj3KyclJQnt3/UX-Team-Planning?node-id=0%3A1 <https://www.figma.com/file/n4ETd0cUkcfj3KyclJQnt3/UX-Team-Planning?node-id=0%3A1>

UX kanban:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&label_name[]=UX <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&label_name[]=UX>

Team kanban:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&label_name[]=UX%20Team <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&label_name[]=UX%20Team>

--------------------------
Tuesday February 8th 17:00 UTC
--------------------------

== What projects are we working on? ==

S9 - Usability and Community Intervention on Support for Democracy and Human Rights
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name=Sponsor%209&label_name=UX <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name=Sponsor%209&label_name=UX>

S30 - Empowering Communities in the Global South to Bypass Censorship
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name=Sponsor%2030&label_name=UX <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name=Sponsor%2030&label_name=UX>

S96 – Rapid Expansion of Access to the Uncensored Internet through Tor in China, Hong Kong, & Tibet
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24>

S101 - Tor VPN Client for Android
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/32 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/32>

== Announcements ==

* Tor Browser 11.0.5 for Android release:
https:// <https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1105/>blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-11 <https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1105/>05 <https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1105/>/ <https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1105/>

== Agenda ==

1. Announcements
2. Weekly planning
3. UX Team Q1 roadmap review
4. Joydeep's user support report for Jan 2022 (https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2022-February/003283.html <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2022-February/003283.html>)

== Weekly planning ==

Note: Please highlight anything you'd like to discuss below in **bold**

Duncan

Last week (actual):
    - Started the UX evaluation of comparable Android apps for S101 (VPN)
    - Began writing user stories for S101 (VPN)
    - Attended first thread models committee meeting for S101 (VPN)
    - Briefed nicob on onion glyph project for Tor Browser
    - Iterated on the arti logo with nicob
    - Purchased Figjam licenses for team
    - Continued to support S96 (torconnect) development
    - Restarted release meetings & discussed plan for immediate releases

This week (planned):
    - Continue UX evaluation of comparable Android apps and user stories for S101
    - Presenting Objective 1 (UX) progress for S101 (VPN) on Wednesday
    - Update the UX Team roadmap
    - Present the UX Team roadmap at this week's All Hands
    - Start work on additional designs for S96 (torconnect)
    - Finish and distribute the tor-qa survey
    - Review UX Research report template

Nah

Last week (actual):
    - S9 survey to find human rights defenders’ challenges and needs
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/72 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/72>
    * Understand and work on: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/61 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/61>
    - S30 training and user research planning
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/71 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/71>
    - S101 interviews planning - screening survey
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/70 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/70>
    - updated UR roadmap

This week (planned):
    - S9 survey to find human rights defenders’ challenges and needs. Status: creating questionnaire on limesurvey in spanish and english, trying to make it look better, sharing with S9 partners.
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/72 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/72>
    * Study and summarize our User Research material to create a primer to share with S9 partners: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/61 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/61>
    - S30 call for participation is live! Sharing with communities in Brazil and Mexico, and planning User Research (both for Tor and Orbot)
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/71 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/71>
    - S101 interviews planning. Status: creating the questionnaire on Limesurvey.
    * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/70 <https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/70>
    - S96: starting to research/plan our next activities

Nicob

Last week (actual):
    - Glyph audit
    - Started combination mark exploration for Tor Browser
    - ARTI color and background exploration
    - CFP graphics
    - Safer Internet Day graphic
    - Revised two onion glyph SVGs
    - Research for Comms 22 vis direction

This week (planned):
    - Sketch onion glyph explorations
    - Update mono onion sticker for print
    - Continue research for Comms 22 vis direction

== Open Call for User Research ==

Find out how to contribute to the UX team:
https://community.torproject.org/user-research/how-to-volunteer/ <https://community.torproject.org/user-research/how-to-volunteer/>

Thanks everyone!

***

Duncan Larsen-Russell