[tor-project] PieroV's monthly status report

Pier Angelo Vendrame pierov at torproject.org
Wed Feb 2 09:55:03 UTC 2022

Hi everyone!
This is my status report for January 2022.

I took back from the patchset reordering and Tor Browser Bundle test.
I got Richard's feedback, thanks to which we improved the result a lot.
Now we can build Tor Browser (almost) at every commit of our patchset.
Builds at two commits (around the integration of torbutton) produce a
non-working browser, but this was an acceptable trade-off for us.
Please, have a look at the original issue (tor-browser#40562
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40562>)
and at the merge requests (tor-browser!242
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/merge_requests/242>
and tor-browser!250
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/merge_requests/250>)
for more details.

For tests, I updated the ones that were not working anymore
(tor-browser-bundle-testsuite!17
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-bundle-testsuite/-/merge_requests/17>)
and added some issues to what we would like to fix/implement.

Then, I had some new tasks.
One was rebasing geckoview to version 96 (tor-browser#40769
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40769>
and !243
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/merge_requests/243>)
and Android components to 96.0.13. The latter were not merged;
aguestuser rebased them to 96.0.15, instead.
Anyway, this took me quite some time, but I learned a lot about our
build system.
Also, it made me find a problem with our configuration flags for Firefox
that prevented geckoview from being compiled successfully and fixed them
in tor-browser!251
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/merge_requests/251>.
Eventually, this patch was also needed for Firefox 91.6.

Another big task was updating Tor settings in the about:preferences
(tor-browser#40774
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40774>);
I am close to a conclusion with it.

Finally, another pair of tasks were updating obfs4proxy
(tor-browser-build!396
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/396>)
and some localization strings (tor-browser!247
<https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/merge_requests/247>).

If I have not forgotten anything, that is all for this month 🙂.
Thanks,
Pier