[tor-project] Joydeep's Monthly Status Report for July 2022

Joydeep Sen Gupta championquizzer at torproject.org
Wed Aug 3 15:23:46 UTC 2022

Hello everyone!

These are my updates from the month of July. With the major Tor Browser
11.5 release, much of my work this month was concentrated around it. I
updated the documentation on the Tor Browser User Manual[1], Support
Portal[2] and various other documentation we maintain for user
support[3]. We got a number of user support requests, as is usual with a
major Tor Browser release with users reporting a couple of bugs[4][5].
These bugs are now fixed in the Tor Browser 11.5.1 release!

With Tor Browser 11.5, we also have Connection Assist[6] in the stable
browser and I have been working to gain feedback about the Circumvention
map[7] in order to improve this feature.

There has been a major uptick in requests for unlisted obfs4 bridges,
mostly from users in China and Turkmenistan[8]. On the Android front, we
got multiple reports of the bug in rendering webpages on Samsung S22
device (this is a device specific issue)[9].

That pretty much sums up the highlights from last month and following
are some quick stats and highlights from our official support channels.

## Frontdesk

Timeline : 01 July - 31 July 2022

Tickets:

new: 42
open: 20
resolved: 467

Breakdown of number of RT tickets received with respect to operating
system:

(Note: This includes tickets where the user mentioned the operating
system or it was evident from the issue they were running into and/or
enclosed screenshots.)

Windows - 22
macOS - 16
GNU/Linux - 3
Android- 18

Breakdown of most frequent tickets (at least 3 RT tickets):

1. 141 RT Tickets - How to use Tor Bridges in Russia.[10]

2. 101 RT Tickets - Private Bridge requests. This is not related to the
.ru censorship but requests from Tor users in China, Iran, etc.[11]

3. 6 RT Tickets - Bug in rendering webpages on Tor Browser for Android,
specific to the Samsung S22 device[9]

4. 4 RT Tickets - Tor Browser 11.5 incompatible with macOS 10.12[12]

5. 3 RT Tickets - Questions and feedback[13] about the new features in
Tor Browser Desktop -- Bridge-moji[14] & Connection Assist.

## Tor Forum

Most popular topics in the Support category (in terms of no. of views):

1. "Too many connections (to a single relay) (DDoS 2022.07.02)".[15]

2. "Cannot open any site correctly with Tor (Browser)"[16]

3. "Do my Snowflakes work?"[17]

4. "Testing Invitation for Tor Browser with supported_groups patch
countermeasure in Snowflake to evade censorship observed in Russia"[18]

5. "The “Continue to HTTP site” button in HTTPS-only mode doesn’t
work"[19]

Thanks,

-- Joydeep

[1]: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/manual/-/issues/119