[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, July 2022

Pier Angelo Vendrame pierov at torproject.org
Mon Aug 1 08:27:24 UTC 2022

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for July 2022.

This month, we released Tor Browser 11.5, and fixing all the final
details for it took me the first half of the month.
In particular, we switched the bridgemoji to SVG files to improve
compatibility and consistency across the different platforms [1]. We
also added the description for the various emojis. In addition, we fixed
some issues that were reported by users in the alpha testing program.
Then we finalized the work on the fonts [2][3][4].

After the release of 11.5, we received many feedbacks. Thanks to
everyone for providing them!
A pair of problems were particularly relevant for many users [5][6]. We
resolved them in Tor Browser 11.5.1, which I helped prepare.

After that, we started working on Tor Browser 12.0.
We want to clean up the code, remove some legacy code, update the
remaining to modern JS and move it from secondary repositories to the
main one (tor-browser.git).
I have already started moving Security Level [7] and New Identity [8].

But then I paused to update Tor Browser for Android to Firefox 102 [9].
We decided to rebase to 102 instead of 103 because we want to explore a
Tor Browser for Android based on the ESR channel instead of rapid release.
This could help us release Android updates more often and to focus on
new features. This also allows us to have a single git branch for
desktop and mobile.

Finally, I have started the migration to Firefox 102 [10]. We have just
started on that, so we do not know when we will have the first 102-based
alpha.

Best,
Pier

[0] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-115/