[tor-project] Anti-censorship team meeting notes, 2022-04-07

Shelikhoo shelikhoo at torproject.org
Thu Apr 7 17:33:58 UTC 2022

Hey everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2022/tor-meeting.2022-04-07-15.59.html

And our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

-------------------------------- Anti-censorship work meeting pad
-------------------------------- Next meeting: Thursday April 14th 16:00
UTC Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at
OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress) == Goal of this
meeting == Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at
Tor. Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at
Tor. == Links to Useful documents == * Our anti-censorship roadmap: *
Roadmap:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards * The
anti-censorship team's wiki page: *
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home *
Past meeting notes can be found at: *
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/ * Tickets that need
reviews: from sponsors we are working on: * All needs review tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
* Sponsor 28 * must-do tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10 * possible
tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None
* Sponsor 96 * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/24
== Announcements == * Next snowflake bridge migration scheduled for next
week https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40716 ==
Discussion == * Nickname for second bridge site?
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40122
* The existing bridge site has nickname "flakey" (actually flakey1,
flakey2, etc.), since the second bridge site will have a different
fingerprint it should have a different nickname * Can leave suggestions
on the issue * Discuss about cooperation with Greatfire (by serene) *
keroserene and shelikhoo had a call with Greatfire * one of the topics
discussed was collaboration regarding FreeBrowser
(https://freebrowser.org/, https://github.com/greatfire/freebrowser) and
Snowflake * Some notes from the call:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/greatfire-snowflake-notes == Actions == * ==
Interesting links == * Extended DNS Error provides more error codes to
indicate why a DNS query failed; code 16 means "censored". (Like status
code 451 in HTTP.)
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8914.html#section-4.17 *
Ukraine-focused circumvention VPN, only unblocks a handful of sites like
VK, Mail.ru * https://zaborona.help/ *
https://ntc.party/t/ukraine/2135/3 * Uses static SOCKS proxies? E.g.
srv1.vpn.zaborona.help https://zaborona.help/graph.html == Reading group
== * We will discuss "Balboa: Bobbing and Weaving around Network
Censorship" on April 7 *
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/sec21-rosen.pdf *
https://censorbib.nymity.ch/#Rosen2021a * Questions to ask and goals to
have: * What aspects of the paper are questionable? * Are there
immediate actions we can take based on this work? * Are there long-term
actions we can take based on this work? * Is there future work that we
want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up? == Updates ==
Name: This week: - What you worked on this week. Next week: - What you
are planning to work on next week. Help with: - Something you need help
with. anadahz: 2022-01-27 Last week: - Increase timeout check cycles for
default-bridge-felix-1 and default-bridge-felix-2 as they have been
generating too many alerts:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/monit-configuration/-/merge_requests/1
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2022-03-31 Last week: - onboarded itchy
onion onto s28 tasks - reviews - work on conjure PT This week: -
continued work on conjure PT - continue to monitor snowflake broker
stats Needs help with: dcf: 2022-04-07 Last week: - set up the snowflake
bridge's permanent server and scheduled a time for the migration
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40111
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/40716 - opened an
issue for tracking the installation of a second bridge site
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40122
- approved last piece of forward-fingerprint patch
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/81
- posted hints about CPU profiling snowflake-webext in Chrome
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/30#note_2793352
- more correspondence with OTF about a rapid response grant for the
snowflake bridge Next week: - look at STATUS VERSION proposal
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/merge_requests/63 -
install second snowflake bridge site
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40122
Help with: agix: 2021-02-10 Last week: - Continued work on
gettor-twitter Next week: - Hopefully finish the task Help with: -
arlolra: 2022-04-07 Last week: - Merged the rest of snowflake !81 Next
week: - Get to snowflake-webext #10 Evergreen: - Figure out where in
pion/webrtc ALPN should be configured and used - Maybe add
Chacha20Poly1305 to pion/dtls
https://github.com/pion/dtls#planned-features
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40014#note_2764731
Help with: - maxb: 2021-09-23 Last week: - Worked on
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40054
re: utls for broker negotiation - Had conversation with someone about
upstream utls http round tripper
https://github.com/refraction-networking/utls/pull/74 - Too busy with
work :/ Next week: - _Really_ want to get a PR for utls round tripper
meskio: 2022-04-07 Last week: - document circumvention settings API
(bridgedb#40043) - accept bridge distributor request changes (rdsys#104)
- investigate bridgestrap reporting odd timing (tor#40592) - review
cross compile docker snowflake-proxy (docker-snowflake-proxy!6) Next
week: AFK Shelikhoo: 2022-04-07 Last Week: - [Merge Request Awaiting]
Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64) - [Coding &
Deployment] Proposal: Centralized Probe Result Collector
(anti-censorship/team#54) - [Discussion] Centralized Probe Log
Collection Ascension Request - [Discussion] Hosting Centralized Probe
Log Collection Server on TPA managed VPS - [Discussion] Bridges should
report implementation versions of their pluggable transports - [Coding]
Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64) - built-in
DNS - [Coding] Distributed Snowflake Bridges - Broker(continue) - (Reply
a lot of emails) Next Week: - [Coding] Distributed Snowflake Bridges -
Broker (continue) Itchy Onion: 2022-04-07 Last week: - snowflake !84 -
racecar onboarding This week: - racecar local testing - set up LDAP Help
with: - upgrade to be compatible with racecar 2.1.0 HackerNCoder:
2021-12-16 This week: Last/done: Setup web mirror on
tor.encryptionin.space Next: Get (new VPs with) new IP and setup new web
mirror on new domain hanneloresx: 2021-3-4 Last week: - Submitted MR for
bridgestrap issue #14 Next week: - Finish bridgestrap #14 - Find new
issue to work on Help with: - ln5: 2022-03-24 Last week: - Received
hardware for a new home for snowflake.tpn; discussed OS configuration
with dcf in private email Next week: - Install Debian 11 on new
snowflake.tpn - Possibly rack new snowflake.tpn, if I can get access and
find time to do the transportation Need help with: - Input on urgency
appreciated, for my planning - Input on preferred CPU configuration, esp
wrt HyperThreading -- lacking input before deployment in data centre,
the machine will *not* have HT disabled and CPU bug mitigation will thus
have to be carried out by the kernel