[tor-project] Rhatto's Monthly Status Report, March 2022

rhatto rhatto at torproject.org
Tue Apr 5 14:20:40 UTC 2022

Hi all :)

This is my monthly status report for February 2022.

Main activities during the period:

0. Created the Onionprobe tool for testing and monitoring Onion
   Services: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionprobe

   It has basic functionality, including metrics exporting to Prometheus, but still
   needs work to address more general use cases:
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onionprobe/-/blob/main/TODO.md

   A summary about what it currently does was made during the last Demo Day:
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/rhatto/onionprobe/-/blob/main/docs/demoday.md

   Since that, Onionprobe got additional metrics and it's first refactor :)

   Now I'm interested to know what the community would like to have in such a tool!
   Some special reporting output? Some auditing like Onionscan does?
   Please let me know :)

1. Completed the initial version of Oniongroove specs for deployment and monitoring
   of Onion Service sites.

   Current specification is available at
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/oniongroove/-/blob/feature/specs/docs/specs.md

   It's is about to be reviewed and merged in the main branch:
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/oniongroove/-/merge_requests/1

   Right now the main intention with this document is to make sure we're in the right path
   towards an automated high availability deployment/monitoring suite, making acceptable
   choices to ease the handling of all complexities involved in hosting Onion Services.

   So comments and suggestions would be gladly welcomed :)

2. Started research/summarization for existing proposals on Onion Service
   usability improvements, to be published soon. Related ticket:
   https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/onion-services/onion-support/-/issues/64

3. Many other activities related to Sponsor 123 such as meetings,
   plannings and support :)

--
Silvio Rhatto
pronouns he/him