[tor-project] Event Invite: PrivChat #5 | Sept. 27 @ 17:00 UTC

Al Smith smith at torproject.org
Tue Sep 21 21:06:23 UTC 2021

Hello Tor world,

I wanted to send you an invite to a Tor event happening next week: *our
latest edition of PrivChat <https://torproject.org/privchat>. *PrivChat
is a live event series featuring experts discussing the latest in
privacy and human rights news.

  * *What: *PrivChat: Protection Against Pegasus
    <https://torproject.org/privchat>
  * *When: *Monday, Sept. 27 @ 17:00 UTC
  * *Where:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ovmcZtaacY
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ovmcZtaacY>
  * *More information:* https://torproject.org/privchat
    <https://torproject.org/privchat>

Here's a calendar invite so you can easily save the date, which contains
the full event details and description:
https://www.torproject.org/static/images/privchat/privchat-5.ics

Al

Al Smith | smith at torproject.org
Fundraising Director
The Tor Project

*PrivChat #5 | Protection Against Pegasus*

Every year, governments, law enforcement agencies, militaries, and
corporations invest billions of dollars into building and buying
malicious spyware--software designed to silently infiltrate a user's
device and allow attackers to view the contents without detection.

This year, the Pegasus Project revealed that users of this kind of
spyware, known as Pegasus and built by the NSO group, had targeted the
phones that belong to thousands of people in more than 50 countries,
including business executives, politicians, journalists, and human
rights activists.

In this edition of PrivChat, join *Likhita* and *Etienne Maynier* of
Amnesty International and *John Scott Railton* of Citizen Lab to discuss:

  * What individuals, journalists, activists, and human rights defenders
    can do to protect themselves against sophisticated spyware?
  * What kind of organizations can we support to help stop this abuse?
  * Who is working on safer, more private software that we can trust?

*Roger Dingledine*, Co-Founder of the Tor Project, will join us as our
host and moderator.