[tor-project] upcoming change in mailing lists configurations

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at torproject.org
Tue Sep 14 17:51:27 UTC 2021

Hi again,

This change has just been deployed on all lists.

Do note one detail that was not obvious to me at first: not *all* emails
get their "From" munged. Only mail from a provider with an *active*
DMARC record (e.g. with `p=reject` or `p=quarantine`).

In other words, if your provider partially implements DMARC but doesn't
tell others to actually reject invalid emails, the From does not get
munged.

This might lead to some inconsistencies where some mails will come from
the list and some from normal users. I think the solution for this is to
simply not rely on From for filtering, which you were likely not doing
anyways.

Details in the ticket, as usual:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/issues/19914

Cheers,