[tor-project] OnionShare Desktop S96, October progress report

Micah Lee micah at micahflee.com
Fri Nov 5 00:47:29 UTC 2021

This is the October progress report from the OnionShare Desktop team for
the S96 project.

We moved the OnionShare Desktop repository from my personal Github
account to a new OnionShare GitHub organization, and created new
repositories for the mobile app. The desktop team have been working in a
separate "censorship" branch, and making pull requests into that branch
for the work so far.

In October we:

  * Began work on the quickstart screen that is going to detect
    censorship and automatically circumvent it
  * Compiled meek-client into the package
  * Wrote code to use meek for domain-fronting requests to Moat, and
    also for the new Censorship API
  * Added Snowflake support
  * Added Moat support, so users can anonymously request bridges from
    BridgeDB
  * Split the Settings window into two separate windows, Settings and
    Tor Settings, and completely refactored the Tor Settings to look
    better and save settings in a smarter way
  * Based on UX feedback, turned the Settings and Tor Settings windows
    into tabs, instead of windows

Here's a video that shows off a lot of the new stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djaKOpmj3kM

Here are the open issues we currently have for this project:
https://github.com/onionshare/onionshare/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Acensorship