[tor-project] The Tor Project's priorities for the period June to September 2021

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Tue Jun 15 16:25:54 UTC 2021

Hi!

In the last couple of weeks we reviewed teams priorities for the next
few months. We will do this again at the end of September. I'm sending
this mail for transparency on what the Tor Project is focus on right now.

# General priorities for the Tor Project

    performance
    network health
    moving tor from C to Arti
    improving censorship circumvention
    usability

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards

# Applications

1. V2 Deprecation UI/UX
2. about:torconnect
3. Desktop ESR Transition - starts in July
4. Enable HTTPS-Only Mode
5. Integrate libhttps-everywhere-core (replacing https-everywhere
webextension) - tor-browser#40458
6. Go/Rust/Java dependency resolution: how to resolve dependencies ahead
of time.
7. improve bridge selection in tor browser

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/applications/-/boards

# Core

1. security fixes
2. tor network performance
    - shadow experiments
    - congestion control
3. arti
    - margot things for network health team
    - shadow simulations should be possible with arti
4. CI with follow up with sysadmin teams
5. HS v2 deprecation
    - Onion Balance for V3: Multi-service support. Possibly to reduce
memory consumption to avoid having to run multiple instances.
6. Shadow v2 will come out in this period.
7. Update the fallbackdirs list

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards

# Network Health

1. Run the "bad hsdir" hunter scripts and other bad-relay detection
scripts.
2. Deploy sbws on all bandwidth authorities replacing Torflow and fix
critical issues
3. Various work within our performance and scalability project
4. Support for researchers for network experiments
5. Integrate metrics into network-health
6. bad-relay tooling improvements
7. Improve user support for relays operators
8. Handle EOL relays
9. sbws2
10. Start accumulating a list of metrics we want to have from arti-based
relays
11. Map out possible plans for quantifying and improving our trust in
relays/operators
12. Surprise 'anomaly analysis' on the network as needed

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/network-health/-/boards

# Anti-Censorship

1. Better bridge distribution strategies (e.g. Conjure, Salmon)
2. Make GetTor more reliable and reduce maintenance burden
3. Rewrite gettor in Go to include it in rdsys
4. Complete integration of bridgedb into the more general rdsys
5. Improve the performance of Snowflake for users in Asia
6. Provide more feedback to users that run Snowflake proxies
7. Tor reachability from various countries

Work board:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

# TPI Websites

1. Donations page redesign
2. Improve bridges.torproject.org
3. Remove outdated documentation from the header
4. Migrate blog.torproject.org from Drupal To Lektor
5. Support forum
6. Developer portal
7. Get website build from jenkins into to gitlabCI for the static mirror
pool (before December)
8. Maintenance tasks:
- Bootstrap upgrade
- browser documentation update
- get translation stats available
- rename 'master' branch as 'main'
- fix wiki for documentation
- get onion service tooling into tpo gitlab namespace

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/web/-/boards

# Tor Project Administrators

Priorities: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/wikis/roadmap/2021
Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/tpa/team/-/boards/117

# User Experience

1. Tor Browser 10.5 > V2 Onion Services Deprecation.
2. Tor Browser 10.5 > Improving connecting to Tor.
3. Tor Browser 10.5 release, 11.0 planning.
4. User Research > Reporting Tor Browser survey from Q1/Q2 2021.
5. Working with net on arti DX.
6. Working with applications on enabling HTTPS-Only Mode.
7. Working with circumvention on improving bridges.torproject.org.
8. Working with community on publishing peers material in
community.torproject.org.
9. Working with community on Tor Documentation Hackathon.
10. Working with community on support.torproject.org.
11. Working with fundraising on donate.torproject.org.
12. Working with web on dev.torproject.org.
13. Working with comms on social media suppport.

Work board:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&label_name[]=UX

# Community Team

1. Organize Tor facilitators meetup with human rights defenders and
partners in Latam and East Africa.
2. Release the new Community section with Tor training resources.
3. Work with Outreachy intern to help Tor users and delivery user
monthly feedback report to Tor Browser developers and other teams.
4. Organize the 3rd #DocsHackathon to update Tor websites and user
support documentation.
5. Work on the new support forum and blog comments platform with UX,
Web, and TPA team.
6. Contributing with Comms team on contents and campaigns related to our
community, mission, and values.
7. Contact and build partnerships with new human rights defenders
organizations in the Global South.
8. Localize the new donate.torproject.org website.
9. Follow up #KeepItOn and Stop Stalkerware coalitions work and campaigns.
10. Monthly Tor localization hangout with translators.
11. Meet with Tor relay associations and relay operators for Network
Health team & research.
12. Build stats and automation for localization and Tor websites.
13. Publish reviewed translations to the websites and Tor Browser.

Work board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/community/-/boards

cheers,
gaba