[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 2021 December 16

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Thu Dec 16 16:54:48 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

Here are our meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-12-16-15.59.html

and our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday January 6th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:

    Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home

    Past meeting notes can be found at:

    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

    Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:

    All needs review tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None

    Sponsor 30

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/4

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/7

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/5

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/6

    Sponsor 28

    must-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10

    possible tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None

== Announcements ==

    New default bridge in TorBrowser: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/3D98E4E19BDBBF2047DDAC7892B39D688B1CC1F2

== Discussion ==

    Current status in Russia

    meek-azure now unblocked?

    seems to be working https://ntc.party/t/ooni-reports-of-tor-blocking-in-certain-isps-since-2021-12-01/1477/79

    Moat is no longer distributing old bridges in Russia

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/47#note_2766608

    The new Telegram bot's bridges were all blocked but one

    we need more mirrors of *.torproject.org as they get blocked

    snowflake bridge has doubled its clients https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/5481936581E23D2D178105D44DB6915AB06BFB7F

    the DTLS fingerprint fix seems to work

    The new bridge obfs4 deusexmachina is already blocked (from 11.0.2, released 2021-12-08)

    There is an article saying that an organization is petitioning to have Tor Browser removed from the Google and Apple app stores in Russia

    https://m.gazeta.ru/social/news/2021/12/14/n_17011309.shtml

    Further Snowflake fingerprint fixes

    anyone working on adding ALPN support to DTLS Client Hello? https://github.com/pion/dtls/issues/408

    dcf will upgrade the standalone proxies we operate

    meskio will upgrade the docker image

    need updates for the debian package and freebsd port as well

    next meeting Thursday 6 January 2022

    we have now 2k bridges https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html?start=2017-09-17&end=2021-12-16

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

    https://eyedeekay.github.io/blizzard/

    Snowflake proxy plugin for I2P

== Reading group ==

    We will discuss "Meteor: Cryptographically Secure Steganography for Realistic Distributions" on 2022-01-??

    https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3460120.3484550

    Questions to ask and goals to have:

    What aspects of the paper are questionable?

    Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

    Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

    Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

         - Something you need help with.

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2021-12-09
Last week:
    - preliminary dump of snowflake shadow simulation scripts (needs more documentation and cleanup)
        - https://gitlab.torproject.org/cohosh/snowflake-simulation
    - hooked up our reachability measurements to grafana
    - s28 PI meeting
    - handled snowflake probe test outage (responded to alert)
    - snowflake DTLS fingerprinting fixes
        - DTLS fix: https://github.com/pion/dtls/pull/407
        - Tor Browser MR: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/375
    - bump version of Snowflake in Tor Browser
        - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/merge_requests/376
This week:
    - finish documenting and cleaning up shadow simulation scripts
    - use these snowflake + shadow scripts to do more performance testing
    - ensure everything is in place for end of phase II for s28
        - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/milestones/1
    - follow up on Snowflake DTLS fingerprinting work
Needs help with:

arlolra: 2021-08-12

    Last week:

    - Migrate to v3 of the webextension manifest

    Next week:

    - Maybe get back to snowflake-webext #10

    - Write up the pitch for our use case for supporting creating PeerConnections in background service workers https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-extensions/issues/77

    Help with:

    -

dcf: 2021-12-16

    Last week:

    - had a talk about push notifications https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/issues/45

    - posted an analysis of the quantity of BridgeDB captcha images https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/anti-censorship-team/2021-December/thread.html

    Next week:

    - upgrade standalone snowflake proxies for the new DTLS fingerprint

    Help with:

agix:2021-11-25

    Last week:

    - More work on gettor for twitter

    Next week:

    - Continue to work on gettor-twitter

    Help with:

    -

hanneloresx: 2021-3-4

    Last week:

    - Submitted MR for bridgestrap issue #14

    Next week:

    - Finish bridgestrap #14

    - Find new issue to work on

    Help with:

    -

maxb: 2021-09-23

    Last week:

    - Worked on https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40054 re: utls for broker negotiation

    - Had conversation with someone about upstream utls http round tripper https://github.com/refraction-networking/utls/pull/74

    - Too busy with work :/

    Next week:

    - _Really_ want to get a PR for utls round tripper

meskio: 2021-12-16

    Last week:

    - russia censorship fires

    - rotate blocked bridges in telegram bot

    - implement BridgeDB country bridge blocklist and block nonworking moat bridges in russia (team#47)

    - review BridgeDB mock clean up (bridgedb!29)

    - review docker-obfs4-bridge change the nickname (docker-obfs4-bridge!6)

    - merge docker-snowflake-proxy improvements (docker-snowflake-proxy!3)

    - DRL implementors meeting

    Next week:

    - metrics bridge distributor metrics for rdsys (rdsys#67)

Shelikhoo: 2021-12-16
   Last Week:
       - [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake(snowflake!64)
       - [Merge Request Awaiting] Multi-arch docker image support with Dockerfile refactor for probetest(probetest!1)
       - [Merge Request] Add Google backend support for gettor updater
       - [Merge Request] Add callbacks in the client for key events during snowflake connections(snowflake#40076)
       - [Merge Request Review] Default to the main branch and cache go modules

      - [Investigate] Random Like Stream Blocking on Certain IDC from gfw_report

      - [Investigate] Implement metrics to measure snowflake churn(snowflake#34075)

      - [Investigate] [Russia] Some ISPs are blocking Tor

      - [Discussion] Proposal: Support for Dynamic IP obfs4 bridges with unattended proxy information update(aka "Subscription")

       - [Discussion] Implement metrics to measure snowflake churn(snowflake#34075)

      - [Discussion] Proposal: Push Notification Based Signaling Channel

      - [Discussion] Proposal: HTTP(S) Download Test(bridgestrap#30)

   Next Week:
       - [Discussion] Designing the Container Layout for rdsys
       - [Discussion] Proposal: Support for Dynamic IP obfs4 bridges with unattended proxy information update(aka "Subscription")
       - [Discussion] Implement metrics to measure snowflake churn(snowflake#34075)
       - [Discussion] Proposal: Push Notification Based Signaling Channel
       - [Investigate] rdsys Deployment Environment

HackerNCoder: 2021-12-16
This week:
    Last/done:
        Setup web mirror on tor.encryptionin.space
    Next:
        Get (new VPs with) new IP and setup new web mirror on new domain

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/