[tor-project] ((Tor Demo Day)) Next Wednesday, August 25th 2021, 1600 UTC

gus gus at torproject.org
Fri Aug 20 19:32:12 UTC 2021

Dear Tor contributors,

Next Wednesday, August 25th @ 1600 UTC, we will have a Tor Demo Day!
You're invited!

This edition will have presentations about Tor & CAPTCHAs, running
relays at universities, helping Tor users, and exit bridges to
circumvent blocked pages.

To ensure a safe, friendly, and pleasant experience during the event, we
ask all participants to read and follow the Tor Project Code of Conduct:
https://community.torproject.org/training/code-of-conduct/

The presentation will be recorded.

Agenda
------

 * "CAPTCHA Monitor: Check if websites block Tor or return CAPTCHAs using
   real web browsers!" by Barkin Simsek (woswos)
 * "Tor Captcha and Block Monitoring" (GSoC 2021) by Apratim (_ranchak_)
 * "Help Tor users" (Outreachy 2021) by Kulsoom
 * "HebTor: Bypassing Tor Exit Blocking" by Micah Sherr
 * "Operating Tor Relays at Universities" by kantorkel

Meeting room
------------

https://tor.meet.coop/gus-viu-5wr-7cb

Full description
----------------

* "CAPTCHA Monitor: Check if websites block Tor or return CAPTCHAs using
  real web browsers!" - Barkin Simsek (woswos)

The CAPTCHA Monitor project aims to track how often various websites
block or return CAPTCHAs to Tor clients. The project aims to achieve
this by fetching webpages via both Tor & other mainstream web browsers
and comparing the results. The tests are repeated periodically to find
the patterns over time. Collected metadata, metrics, and results are
analyzed and displayed on a dashboard to understand how Tor users get
discriminated against while using browsing the internet.

* "Tor Captcha and Block Monitoring" - Apratim (_ranchak_)

The Project focuses on tracking top websites from alexa/moz500 ranking
and aims to get a detailed knowledge of the websites partially blocking,
fully blocking or returning Captchas or even websites limiting
functionalities. The results will be then collected and will be used to
find the answers to different metric related questions (Example: What
percentages of websites are blocked by a certain exit node). Further I
hope that the metrics could be useful for the campaign to unblock Tor
and even the DBM (DontBlockMe) Project

* "Help Tor Project support our users" - Kulsoom Zahra

During her internship with the Tor Project and Outreachy, Kulsoom Zahra
helped Tor users to bypass censorship, fix their Tor Browsers, updated
the Tor user documentation and much more. She will share with us her
experience on helping Tor users.

* "HebTor: Bypassing Tor Exit Blocking" - Micah Sherr

Tor exit blocking, in which websites disallow clients arriving from Tor,
is a growing and potentially existential threat to the anonymity
network. We introduce two architectures that provide ephemeral exit
bridges for Tor which are difficult to enumerate and block. Our
techniques employ a micropayment system that compensates exit bridge
operators for their services, and a privacy-preserving reputation scheme
that prevents freeloading. We show that our exit bridge architectures
effectively thwart server-side blocking of Tor with little performance
overhead.
https://seclab.cs.georgetown.edu/hebtor/

* "Operating Tor Relays at Universities" by kantorkel

We* report on our experience of operating exit relays at two German
universities and provide lessons learned.

(*) https://arxiv.og/abs/2106.04277

--
The Tor Project
Community Team Lead