[tor-project] User Feedback Report - July 2021

Kulsoom Zahra kulsoomzahra24 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:46:55 UTC 2021

Greetings, everyone!

This is a report of the work done by the Community Team
in the past month and general user feedback that we've received across our
official support channels.

Report Period - June 30 upto July 31, 2021

Tickets resolved in the past month: 192

# New RT templates

We aggregated statistics of what issues Tor users are frequently running
into
and turned their solutions into templates on the RT. This will assist those
working on the RT to better support users. We created/updated the following
articles:

1. Saved Logins and passwords are not available in TB 10.5
2. Updated v2 onion deprecation template to include v2 FAQ

Here is a list of issues which got the most attention (at least 2 tickets on
RT):

# Tor Browser

Breakdown of number of RT tickets received with respect to operating system:

Windows (10,8,7 ...all the way upto Vista) - 20
macOS - 7
Android - 7
GNU/Linux - 2
iOS - 3

(Note: This includes tickets where the user mentioned the operating
system or it
was evident from the issue they were running into or enclosed screenshots.)

1. 9 RT tickets - "Tor Unexpectedly Exited": Failure to launch Tor Browser.
We point users to the "Seven-point basic troubleshooting" article
(template) on the RT to help users.

2. 9 RT tickets - Saved Logins and Passwords are not available.
This issue has been covered by the following ticket. [1]
We direct users to the "Saved Logins are not available in TB 10.5"
article (template) on the RT.

3. 9 RT tickets - Can't access websites; Account suspended.
We point users to the "Basic Troubleshooting when users can't access any
particular website"  article (template) on the RT.

4. 6 RT tickets - Can't connect to the Tor network; "Tor is not working
on this browser"
3 of these tickets are with Logs: Tor failed to complete a TLS handshake.
 We encourage users to use built-in bridges. [2]

5. 3 RT tickets - Can't set multiple pages as home pages.
Regarding this we have a ticket on our GitLab. [3]

6. 3 RT tickets - Cannot download files on Tor Browser for Android.
Regarding this we have a ticket on our GitLab. [4] A workaround for this
recurring issue is to make a new Tor connection and relaunch the download.

7. 3 RT tickets - Fake Tor App on Apple Store.
Users are being charged after installing a fake Tor Browser app on iOS.
We educate users about fake apps and recommend them to solely use the
Onion Browser for iOS.

8. 2 RT tickets - Antivirus interfering with Tor Browser due to
snowflake-client.exe. We've a GitLab ticket open to track this issue. [5]

9. 2 RT tickets - Tor Browser for Android: "Quit button not found".
We've alot of users on other platforms like Playstore and Reddit,
grieving about this lost feature. Regarding this we have a ticket on our
GitLab. [6]

10. 2 RT tickets - Reporting bad onion sites.
The Tor Project doesnot host or control onion sites, we answer users
taking help from the article in our Support portal. [7]

# Onion Services

1. 13 RT tickets - v2 onion deprecation.
All of these tickets come from users who misinterpreted onion services
with Tor, believing that there was something wrong with their Tor
Browser. 'Will i be able to use Tor', 'Can you install v3 for me? just
call me and tell what to do why is this so difficult', 'where can I
download v3 onions?', 'I don't know if i am an operator?' etc etc are
some peeks of the RT.

We help users identify v2 and v3 onions, point them to the "v2 onion
deprecation" article (template) on the RT and FAQ on the Support Portal. [8]

# UI/UX and documentation

1. We have updated our documentation (including screenshots and
screencaps) in accordance with new connecting experience. [9]

2. Google Play Store - In terms of user experience, reviews mostly revolve
around- 'Can't download anything files/images on the latest update',
'can't upload files', 'too many captchas' and 'Tor Browser is slow'.
Apart from this, we've recieved good reviews with users being happy
after the Quit button is back!

3. Tor Stack Exchange - Statistics of what the discussion has been about
(5 most
active tags):

hidden-services- 16 questions
anonymity- 10 questions
security- 8 questions
tor-browser-bundle- 7 questions
configuration (questions about configuring Tor software)- 7 questions

4. Reddit
Discussions have been around
 Reddit has been rate limiting VPN and TOR users. If you try to post
more than once in an ~10 minute timespan, you'll see the familiar "you
seem to be doing that a lot"
Fedora Block Non Tor Traffic
Tor is slow
double chained VPN and Tor
risk of running javascript
How should I use Tor when casually browing the clearnet?
Upgrading DuckDuckGo Onion Search to V3
can't access website on Tor

# Anti-censorship
We got a total of 4 tickets requesting help to connect to Tor which have
been from  Iran, China and other countries. We provided private bridges
for them.

If you have any suggestions, questions please feel free to reach out to
me and/or anyone from the Community Team!

Thanks,
Kulsoom
IRC - kulsoom_z

Links: