[tor-project] Network meeting notes, 14 Sep 2020

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Mon Sep 14 18:10:39 UTC 2020

Hi!

0.4.4.5 tor release is coming this week!

Meeting minutes for the meeting:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-09-14-16.59.txt

The content of the pad for today is:

== Network meeting pad! ==

Next meeting is at Tuesday 21st of September 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on
OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
We meet each month at: Mondays at 1700 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

== Stuff to do every week ==

    Let's check and update our roadmap:

    What's done, and what's coming up? Any change?

    Board: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/boards

    S28 & S30 - ahf & dgoulet

    Non sponsor stuff

    044 fixes and releases

    DoS defenses = Dgoulet + Asn

    Library Size reduction = Ahf + Dgoulet

    sbws = Ahf + Juga

    Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any
blocker? Here are the outstanding reviews:

    Merge requests in Core NOT already marked for backport:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/core/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&not[label_name][]=Backport

    Let's check out 0.4.4 release status and open tickets!

    Tickets in 0.4.4.x with no owner.
https://gitlab.torproject.org/dashboard/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&milestone_title=Tor%3A%200.4.4.x-final&assignee_id=None

    nickm:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/dashboard/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_username=nickm&milestone_title=Tor%3A%200.4.4.x-final

    dgoulet:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/dashboard/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_username=dgoulet&milestone_title=Tor%3A%200.4.4.x-final

    ahf:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/dashboard/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_username=ahf&milestone_title=Tor%3A%200.4.4.x-final

    asn:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/dashboard/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_username=asn&milestone_title=Tor%3A%200.4.4.x-final

    Core Tor Releases:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work
for the next releases.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

    Volunteers need help. Please help them when you are around. Maybe we
should have times of day when different people are responders, and
expectations of who helps.

-------------------------------
---- 14th September 2020
-------------------------------

== Announcements [please date] ==

[Sept 14th] Anybody to present at State of the Onion please add yourself
to the TPI all hands pad or talk with Isa.

[Sept 14th] Anybody wanting to mentor a student for next Outreachy round
(December 2020 to March 2021) talk with Gaba.
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/team/-/issues/1
   - Outreachy project idea: Dev Tooling in Tor (ahf)

== Discussion [please date] ==

    0.4.4 stable release (August 17th - let's keep this until we have RC)

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/issues/11

    044 tickets

    merge ready and need review tickets from nick

    tickets from ahf

    do we need a new 044 RC?

    19 September: Anything to do before 0.4.4.5? And do we call it an
rc, or a stable?

    Issues in https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/issues

=== Active Proposed Policies ===

* Pull Request Guidelines (stalled)

=== Design proposals under discussion ===

315: require more fields in directory documents (still waiting [6/1])
316: flashflow (asn and nickm are reviewing, should schedule discussion
with pastly. [5/18])
317: dns (under discussion on ML [5/18])
318: limit protovers (waiting for more commment; needs discussion [6/1])
319: wide everything (nick replied on ml; waiting for more discussion [6/1])
320: tap out again
    - Do we have a consensus to replace this with a "deprecate v2 onion
services" proposal? If so, who writes it? [6/1]
protover rethinking (teor's email to tor-dev) (nick needs to reply [5/18])
321: happy families (need feedback [6/1])
322: dirport linkspec (need feedback [6/1])

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!
(feel free to delete your own stuff that's more than 1-2 weeks old)

Nick:
    Week of 10 August (planned):
        - get ready for vacation:
            - Wrap up easy tickets
            - Write up status notes on longer term projects (ticket
triage, style, ci, planning, S55, 044 release)
            - Review as much stuff as I can
            - unassign whatever I can't do myself.
        - inbox zero
        - release candidate, possibly.
        - First cut at gitlab CI? Probably based on my exeriments and
hc's patches.
    Week of 10 August (actual):
        - Got gitlab CI running
        - Wrote a hand-off email for current project statuses
        - Inbox zero
        - Released 0.4.4.4-rc
        - Triaged 044-should and 044-must with asn
        - Triaged S55 and assigned-to- at nickm
        - Editied a bunch of wiki pages to update links, delete cruft,
and note further improvements
        - A couple of tiny patches
    (...VACATION...)
    Week of 14 September (planned):
        - Release 0.4.4.5 or 0.4.4.5-rc
        - Recover from vacation
        - Handle whatever pending reviews I have
        - Discuss priorities and upcoming work, then hacking TBD.
          Possible priorities are:
            - code styling
            - proposal implementation
            - ticket backlog reduction
            - bugfixing
            - spec revision
            -
            - ???

ahf

    Week of 8/9 (planned)

    - Fenix#34179

    - 0.4.4 tickets.

    - Follow up Jenkins failures from CI. They all look legit.

    Week of 8/9 (actually)

    - Test of fenix#34179

    - glob() issue blocking the TB team's nightly master builds tor#40114.

    - iOS master build discussion with Benjamin on getting a nightly
version of Tor.framework working.

    - CI issues on AppVeyor sometimes?

    Week of 14/9 (planned)

    - Next steps with Fenix.

    - Look into Weasel's Jenkins issues.

asn:
  Week of 07/09 (planned):
  - More work on #32729.
  - More work on v3 metrics.
  - AFK from Wednesday till the weekend.
  Week of 07/09 (actual):
  - Worked on v3 metrics differential privacy
  - Did some more Android work on #32729, but it needs more.
  - Started revising PoW proposal but waiting for some feedback by tevador.
  Week of /08 (actual):
  - More work on v3 metrics
  - Try to reproduce #32729 again
  - Talk on anti-DoS proposals on a local research group on Wednesday

jnewsome:
    Week of Sep 8 (planned):
        - Enable additional tests in shadow-phantom-preload CI using
        patched interposable libc
        - Add shadow ptrace spin optimization
        - Resume work on clone for shadow-phantom-preload
    Week of Sep 8 (actual):
        - Enabled additional tests in shadow-phantom-preload CI using
        patched interposable libc
        - Fixed a shadow ptrace worker migration bug
        - Fixed a shadow preload bug of using uninitialized pthread state.
        - WIP on shadow preload optimization to tell plugin to block
instead of
        spinning when shadow is switching to a different plugin thread.
    Week of Sep 14 (planned):
        - Finish shadow preload "don't spin" optimization
        - Add shadow ptrace spin optimization
        - Get pthread_create working in shadow-ptrace

--
she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19