[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 03 Sep 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Sep 3 16:30:00 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Here are our meeting minutes:


And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad

Next meeting: Thursday September 3rd 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap:
        * Roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
        * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home
    * Past meeting notes can be found at:
        * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
        * All needs review tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None
        * Sponsor 30
            * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/4
            * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/7
            * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/5
            * https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/6
        * Sponsor 28
            * must-do tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10
            * possible tickets: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None
    * Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep <-- it will be moved into gitlab with TPO labels
    * Public bug-reporting pad:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-bugs-keep

== Announcements ==

    * Please add your August 2020 work highlights to our monthly report:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/uO519p_UMtZiRFQrAXUz

== Discussion ==


== Actions ==


== Interesting links ==

    * https://www.oilandfish.com/posts/tor-cloak.html
        * How to set up a Tor bridge behind Cloak

== Reading group ==

    * We will discuss "HTTPT: A Probe-Resistant Proxy" on Sep 10
        * https://censorbib.nymity.ch/pdf/Frolov2020b.pdf
        * Questions to ask and goals to have:
            * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
            * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
            * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
            * Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
         - Something you need help with.

  This week (2020-09-03):
        * More progress on our BridgeDB rewrite, now called rdsys.
            * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/rdsys
        * Removed default bridge frosty.
        * Some wiki maintenance.
            * Created new survival guide for Check and moved other survival guides from trac to GitLab.
  Next week:
  Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-08-27
Last week:
    - deployed snowflake#40008
    - started snowflake measurements in china to track performance and censorship attempts (snowflake#32657)
    - continuous monitoring of NAT situation
    - prep for being away next month
    - meeting with tunnel bear
This week:
    - Away
Needs help with:
    - still need a review of fix for snowflake#21314 (snowflake!9)

juggy :
    This week:
        - Got very basic "suggested readings" list up and running here : https://jugheadjones10.github.io/anti-censorship-reading/
    Next week:
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:
        - Open issues here (https://github.com/jugheadjones10/anti-censorship-reading ) for papers/resources/readings that you think might be useful for newcomers

arlolra: 2020-06-11
    Last week:
    Next week:
        - follow ups to #33365
        - start on #31201
    Help with:

dcf: 2020-09-03
    Last week:
        - set up the new metrics timeline repo https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/metrics-team/2020-August/001162.html
        - more Azure bookkeeping
        - had a look at cohosh's snowflake multiplexing branch https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/11
        - filed ticket to update translations on snowflake.torproject.org https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/issues/15
    Next week:
    Help with:

Antonela: 2020-08-27
    This week:
        - Wrapping Babatunde's research on the use of circumvention tools during internet censorship in Africa. Wrapping Personas for s30 with it.
    For september:
        - We are planning interviews with users in China to run our bridges discovery issues script in real time. We discussed to include TBA + snowflake as a task for users to run over a week or two and report back.
        - I still have bridges.tpo to lektor issue open
        - More work on UX/UI for TB 10.0/10.5
        - Review Salmon related tickets (im late with it!)

    Last week:
        -Nothing to add for last week
    Next week:
        -Finish #34318
        -Look into #31873
    Help with:

hanneloresx: 2020-09-03
    Last week:
    Next week:
        - Start on #33727
        - Continue investigating and respond to comments on #32117
    Help with:

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-08-27
    This week:
            - GSoC blog
    Next week:
            - Away on exams
    Help with: -

More information about the tor-project mailing list