[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes 2020 Oct 29

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Fri Oct 30 00:06:32 UTC 2020

Hey everyone!

Here are the meeting logs:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-10-29-15.58.html

and our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday October 29th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    Our anti-censorship roadmap:

    Roadmap:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/boards

    The anti-censorship team's wiki page:

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/team/-/wikis/home

    Past meeting notes can be found at:

    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/

    Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:

    All needs review tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/anti-censorship/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&assignee_id=None

    Sponsor 30

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/4

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/7

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/5

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/6

    Sponsor 28

    must-do tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/milestones/10

    possible tickets:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name%5b%5d=Sponsor%2028&milestone_title=None

    Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep <-- it
will be moved into gitlab with TPO labels <-- do we still need this? The
label is 'for anticensorship team'

    Public bug-reporting pad:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-bugs-keep

== Announcements ==

    Please add your October highlights to our monthly report pad:

    https://pad.riseup.net/p/-mFSnGRKoOGCIq0pByRz

    Found a student who's interested in working on:

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/emma/-/issues/4

== Discussion ==

== Actions ==

== Interesting links ==

    "Towards a Scalable Censorship-Resistant Overlay Network based on
WebRTC Covert Channels"

    https://www.gsd.inesc-id.pt/~nsantos/papers/barradas_dicg20.pdf

== Reading group ==

    We will discuss "" on

    Questions to ask and goals to have:

    What aspects of the paper are questionable?

    Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?

    Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?

    Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others
will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:

         - Something you need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-10-29):

    Reviewed Snowflake patches, rdsys patch, grant budget, and S30 report.

    Lots of rdsys and Salmon refactoring.

    Made good progress on cohosh's idea of making Salmon more privacy
preserving by not storing a social graph on the server side.

    Experimented with statsd/graphite for metrics.

    Seems very promising.

    Took a look at the recent censorship in Tanzania.

  Next week:

    Finish refactoring Salmon and start working on cohosh's "social
graph reduction" idea.

  Help with:

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-10-29
Last week:
    - talked to guardian project about their efforts to integrate snowflake
    - sponsor 28 evaluations (x_x)
    - more revisions to and deployed snowflake#40013
    - published snowflake-webext!7 on addon stores and website
    - helped out with snowflake mobile bug (snowflake#40018)
    - implemented cached broker stats (snowflake#40012)
    - modified a script to plot default bridge connections from Tanzania
(https://gitlab.torproject.org/-/snippets/67)
This week:
    - follow up on progress towards a telegram bot for gettor
    - pick up snowflake multiplexing work again (snowflake#25723)
    - roll out and monitor snowflake web deployment
    - sponsor 28 PI meeting
    - clean up and write tests for snowflake#40012
Needs help with:
    - firewall feedback for snowflake#40013 (dcf)

juggy :
    This week:
        - Got very basic "suggested readings" list up and running here :
https://jugheadjones10.github.io/anti-censorship-reading/
    Next week:
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:
        - Open issues here
(https://github.com/jugheadjones10/anti-censorship-reading ) for
papers/resources/readings that you think might be useful for newcomers

arlolra: 2020-10-29

    Last week:

    -

    Next week:

    - getting back up to speed

    - follow ups to #33365

    - start on #31201

    Help with:

    -

dcf: 2020-10-29

    Last week:

    - Azure CDN bookkeeping

    - made a patch to remove an unnecessary error log from Snowflake
proxy
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/merge_requests/15

    Next week:

    - review broker firewall changes
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40013#note_2713770

    Help with:

Antonela: 2020-08-27

    This week:

    - Wrapping Babatunde's research on the use of circumvention tools
during internet censorship in Africa. Wrapping Personas for s30 with it.

    For september:

    - We are planning interviews with users in China to run our bridges
discovery issues script in real time. We discussed to include TBA +
snowflake as a task for users to run over a week or two and report back.

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues/4

    - I still have bridges.tpo to lektor issue open

    - More work on UX/UI for TB 10.0/10.5

    - Review Salmon related tickets (im late with it!)

agix:2020-10-29

    Last week:

    -Implemented feedback on #5 (rdsys)

    -Got more familiar with rdsys

    Next week:

    -Get feedback from my univesity professor regarding tackeling
Pluggable Transports/HTTPT/Issues/#4 in my master thesis

    -More familiarization with rdsys

    Help with:

    -

hanneloresx: 2020-10-22

    Last week:

    - Took break to focus on work

    Next week:

    - #32117: Look at CAPTCHA success rate for users from the US across
different types of bridges

    Help with:

    -

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-10-16