[tor-project] Community Council activity summary, April 2020-August 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Fri Nov 13 15:11:55 UTC 2020

On 2020/09/04 18:32, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Taylor Yu:
> >
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > June 2020
> >
> > The Council reviewed an existing community health concern in the light
> > of new information, and began to draft a statement for internal
> > communication.
> >
> > The Council reviewed existing practices in choosing to reject bad relays.
>
> Which practices are those? Like what did you actually review? Could you
> elaborate as well on why policies for rejecting bad relays has been a
> matter of the Community Council?

Hello there!

The discussion within the Community Council started around the time of
the relay operators meeting in December 2019 at CCC in Leipzig. There
was some discussion on building a Code of Conduct for the relay operator
community, but that discussion was focused on more technical issues
rather than the social issues the already existing Code of Conduct in
the Tor community handles. For example, the relay operators discussed
issues such as remembering to configure the family settings properly,
how large a guard/exit fraction should a single legal entity/AS
number/data center/country contain at maximum.

In relations to this, the Community Council also briefly discussed the
interactions between the community, the community council, and the
directory authorities. As you know, the directory authorities is an
independent group of people, that can decide on issues such as removing
a relay from the Tor network in case of abuse. We were discussing the
community council's way to suggest removal of relays such as relays that
have racist slurs in their names and such. This was not a case open here
per se, but this was more of an open discussion on how we want to engage
for such issues. Fortunately, the bad relays group in Tor are good at
suggesting relay removals for various abuse reasons, and we are sure we
can work with the directory authorities if we end up having an issue
that we need to work with them on.

On behalf of the Community Council,
Alex.

--