[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 28 May 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu May 28 17:38:25 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Here are our meeting minutes:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-05-28-16.00.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday May 28th 16:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap:
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets on keyword #anti-censorship-roadmap-2020
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meeting notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28
    * Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * S30 UX work - https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * O3.1 (Research different scenarios of how human rights defenders experience censorship)
            * A1  - Develop Tor user personas as a tool to understand users’ contexts and mental models. - ticket #32811- in progress, Duncan is back and we are collaborating on this. I'm planning to involve Maria from OONI for reviewing it as well.
            * A2 - Define which censorship scenarios we are going to address.- first approach in the link
            * A3 - Use Tor user personas to define user flows that will empower human rights defenders to effectively circumvent censorship based on the scenarios identified above.- TBD
        * O3.2 (Design the flow of how our users can bypass the scenarios of O3.1)
            * A1 / A2
                * User flow part 1: User learns they are under censorship. Create mockups with different solutions on how to notify Tor Browser users about detected censorship.
                *  User flow part 2: Once censorship is acknowledged by the user, we then guide them on how to bypass the detected censorship. Create mockups with different solutions on how to better guide our users to bypass censorship.
                * I'm not sure what is the best ticket to drop this. I've been working on this, and I want to share it with you so we can start thinking about what we want to do in Tor Browser for this sponsor and with this scope. You can make comments! I can move this to any other place if it is useful/better! <--- Can you create a ticket for it? I was waiting for you to start looking at this to create a ticket. It should be a children of #31283.
                * https://www.notion.so/antonela/S30-UX-0dd8ffd7a46a44f4ae4660d89f95eb51
        * Improvements to snowflake quality of life (by prioritizing less restrictive proxies) also opens us up to DoS attacks. Are we okay with this? Ideas on how to mitigate it? (https://bugs.torproject.org/34129 for context)

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

== Reading group ==

    * We will discuss "Conjure: Summoning Proxies from Unused Address Space" on May 28
        * https://censorbib.nymity.ch/#Frolov2019b
        * Questions to ask and goals to have:
            * What aspects of the paper are questionable?
            * Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
            * Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
            * Is there future work that we want to call out, in hopes that others will pick it up?

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week.
    Help with:
         - Something you need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-05-28):
        * Good progress on #34259; mostly done with fetching OONI data.
            * Also thought about how one could generalise wolpertinger (after all, it's basically BridgeDB for for censorship measurement clients rather than users).
            * OONI's backend now has support for wolpertinger's API.
        * Updated onionperf patch set for #30586 with new requirements.
        * Filed #34298 for onionperf and wrote a fix.
        * Reviewed #33434 for onionperf.
        * Reviewed #34286 for GetTor.
        * Merged #34154 and #33945 for BridgeDB; released version 0.10.1.
        * Wrote blog post about new BridgeDB release (may come out today).
        * Reviewed OTF applications.
        * Finally got access to our Azure account.
        * Filed #34318 for BridgeDB.
        * Helped bridge op figure out why bridge didn't have Running flag -- apparently because IPv6 port was unreachable.
        * Helped agix get a blog account.
        * Wrote exitmap module to find exits that resolve non-existing domains.
  Next week:
        * Make wolpertinger fetch OONI's test results from S3 bucket.
  Help with:
        *

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-05-28
Last week:
    - reviews
    - worked with Hashik on snowflake proxy for android
    - did more learning about debain packaging and catching up on #33736
    - Wrote some code to demonstrate NAT behaviour discovery (#34129)
    - started integrating NAT behaviour discovery into snowflake
    - file an upstream pion/stun PR for support for RFC 5780
    - wrote a fix for gettor mailer-daemon loop (#34286)
    - wrote up a summary for the conjure reading group meeting
This week:
    - finish implementations of NAT behaviour discovery (#34129)
    - Design a way to use NAT behaviour discovery at the broker
    - implement NAT behaviour discovery in client and proxies
    - look at viatsk's work on NAT test suite (#25595)
    - look at BridgeDB's email responder code and see if there's an uninvasive way to integrate GetTor (#3780)
    - investigate #33669
    - Follow up on discussions of debian obfs4proxy package
    - translations?
    - testing snowflake client on android (#30318)
Needs help with:
    - review of #34286
    - feedback on #34129

juggy :
    This week:
        - Dig into the algorithm for how BridgeDB distributes bridges
    Next week:
        - Implement audio captchas in moat, figure out how to reduce audio captcha request size
        - Keep studying BridgeDB to write architectural overview
    Help with:

arlolra: 2020-05-07
    Last week:
        - webext repo versioning / publishing #34140, #34126, #34132, #34127
    Next week:
        - follow ups to #33365
        - start on #31201
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2020-05-28
    Last week:
    Next week:
        - check with Kyle about snowflake fingerprinting results
        - share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
    Help with:

agix:2020-05-28
    Last week:
        - Worked on patch for #27984
        - Read this weeks paper
        - Get familiar with blog policies
    Next week:
        - Further test #27984 & submit patch
    Help with:
        -

thymbahutymba: 2020-04-02
    Last week:
        - CI/CD pipeline for multiarch docker images, which has a problem
          with the apt tor version even though the apt repository have been
          changed into the Dockerfile.
    Next week:
    Help with:

HashikD: 2020-04-28
    Last week:
            - Established the WebRTC connection. (in Test project)
            - Fixed the issue with connectoin termination. (in Test project)
            - Sending some temporary data to test the connection. (in Test project)
            - Finished #34308 (closed) creating new project
            - Finished and commented on #34264, #34307 (merge_ready)
    Next week:
            - Getting my merge requests accepted and acting up on feedback of code.
    Help with: