[tor-project] Network meeting notes, 18 May 2020

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Mon May 18 18:52:01 UTC 2020

Hi!

Network Meetings are happening every Monday at 17UTC in #tor-meeting
in irc.oftc.net

Here are the minutes for the meeting of May 18th:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-05-18-17.00.html

Pad for 2020: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2020.1-keep

And here is the pad notes for today:

== Network meeting pad! ==

Next team meeting is at Monday 25 May 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

May Schedule:
    * Monday 11 May 17:00 UTC
    * Monday 18 May 17:00 UTC
    * Monday 25 May 17:00 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
We meet each month at: Mondays at 1700 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
23 March:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2020-April/002804.html
 1 April - 4 May: we skipped meetings while transitioning TPI

== Stuff to do every week ==

    Let's check and update our roadmap:

    What's done, and what's coming up? Any change?

       All the trac tickets for the roadmap are in the team's page:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam

        S27 - Asn & Dgoulet - ends at the end of May

        S28 & S30 - Continue after October - Ahf

        S55 - Nickm

        S69 - Nickm - ends at the end of May

        Non sponsor stuff

        DoS defenses = Dgoulet + Asn

        Library Size reduction = Ahf + Dgoulet

        sbws = Ahf + Juga

    Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any
blocker? Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

    Go over our 0.4.3 status page at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/043Status
. (If maint-0.4.3 were released as stable tomorrow, what would we regret?)

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work
for the next releases.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

    Volunteers need help. Please help them when you are around. Maybe we
should have times of day when different people are responders, and
expectations of who helps.

-------------------------------
---- 18 May 2020
-------------------------------

== Announcements [please date] ==

== Discussion [please date] ==

[18 May] pastly asks: Current plan is that FlashFlow will consist of a
program that controls tor clients via the Control Port. Like Simple
Bandwidth Scanner and Torflow. Would writing this code in Rust make it
non-transitionable? Does the network team know enough Rust? The other
idea is Python 3. Is that way better?

   [resolution: rust isn't a blocker.  maybe using stem would be a
compelling reason to use python though.  the best choice would be to do
whatever you think can deliver the better code: "maintainable
well-factored rust is much better than undocumented spaghetti python,
and vice versa :)"

[18 May] nickm asks: anybody able to help with 0.4.4 triage? We need to
identify what we're doing between now and the freeze on 15 June.

=== Active Proposed Policies ===

* Pull Request Guidelines (stalled)

=== Design proposals under discussion ===

315: require more fields in directory documents (?? [5/18])
316: flashflow (asn and nickm are reviewing, should schedule discussion
with pastly. [5/18])
317: dns (under discussion on ML [5/18])
318: limit protovers (nick needs to reply on ML [5/18])
319: wide everything (nick needs to reply on ML [5/18])
320: tap out again (nick needs to reply on ML [5/18])
protover rethinking (teor's email to tor-dev) (nick needs to reply [5/18])

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

Nick:
    Week of 11 May (planned):
        - Re-review PETS artifacts
        - Final S55 handover:
            - Make sure I can repro and experiment with Teor's work on
ipv6 probing
            - 33898 (real_addr)
            -
        - merge and review
        - answer a ton of pending email.
        - catch up with proposal review
        - Finalize a bunch of walking onions sub-proposals
        - get an official location/repo for walking onions proposal.
        - identify most critical missing pieces of w.o. proposal, and
pick them up.
    Can anybody pick up:
        - 33850 (log fd issue)
    Week of 11 May (actual):
        - merge and review
        - lots of pending email catch-up
        - walking onions sub-proposals
        - walking onions: more family analysis
        - lots of reading up on S55 stuff
        - network team idea for next steps
        - Release 0.4.3.5 as stable!
        - (much persnoal disorganizatioon) *
          * this was originally a typo, but I think it gives a fair
picture of my mental state (same space here..)
    Week of 18 May (planned):
        - 0.4.4 triage
        - walking onions: try to finish.
        - s55: review and merge, identify steps to make wip-stuff mergeable.
        - review and merge in general
        - keep an eye on blog comments
        - Reply to prop316
        - reply to email about protovers

ahf:
    Week of 4/5 (actual)
        - Review of some GCC warnings.
        - Wrapping my head around Browser build-system and Mozilla Fenix.
        - Mac upgrade to help TGP and to debug iOS/Mac issues.
        - Got through the emails that was skipped in April.
    Week of 11/05 planned:
        - Continue to work with the browser team.
        - Wrap my head around DNS patches.
        - Execute next steps on TROVE-2020-001.
    Week of 11/05 actually:
        - DNS proposal and changes being discussed on
tor-dev at lists.torproject.org.
        - Sent revised patches for TROVE-2020-001 with Taylor's
suggestions included.
        - Got OnionBrowser to build and reproduced the iOS Tor 0.4.2+ issue.
        - Done with emails from April.
        - Review of various patches for tor.git.
        - Managed to reproducibly compile GeKo's geckoview patches on
two devices.
        - Code review of GeKo's geckoview patches to Tor Browser
(#33626, #33973, #33113).
    Week of 18/05 planned:
        - Write documentation for `Onion-Location:` for nginx.
        - Continue to work with the browser folks.
        - Hopefully nail down the iOS bug.
        - Thursday and/or Friday is a public holiday here in DK that I
might make use of. (please take it)

asn:
  Week of 11/05 (planned):
  - Work on PoW funding proposal
  - Email backlog
  Week of 04/05 (actual):
  - PoW proposal done.
  - Start reviewing flashflow proposal.
  - More onion services stuff
    - Did OTF learning lab meeting
    - Did HTTPS-E meeting.
  Week of 18/05 (planned):
  - Still more reviewing flashflow.
  - Still more emails.
  - Still more reviews.
  - Still more PoW.

jnewsome:
    Week of May 4 (actual):
        - Some LD_PRELOAD behavior investigation to guide
        shadow-Phantom design decisions
        - Added more tests covering next-to-be-implemented shadow-Phantom
        syscalls
        - Mentored/reviewed a volunteer PR
        - Kickoff OnionPerf meeting
    Week of May 11 (planned):
        - Start digging into OnionPerf
        - Start familiarizing myself with Shadow *usage* for Tor simulations
        - tor-project@ Shadow update email
    Week of May 11 (actual):
        - Worked on improving Shadow logging framework
        - Helped volunteer get their PR to improve tests into
        mergeable shape and merged
        - Started poking at OnionPerf
    Week of May 18 (planned):
        - tor-project@ shadow update email
        - finish logging improvement PR
        - More digging into OnionPerf. #33974: update to tgen 1.0 \o/

pastly:
    Week of 18 May (planned):
        - Finish bones of external FlashFlow repo (python?) to control
tor clients
          that perform FF measurements
        - Finish bones of little-t tor changes s.t. measurement can be
performed
        - Discuss FlashFlow with network team devs as they have questions

--
she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19