[tor-project] Tails report for April 2020
sajolida at pimienta.org
Tue May 12 16:59:00 UTC 2020
* Tails 4.5 was released on April 7:
* Tails 4.6 was released on May 5:
* Tails 4.7 is scheduled for June 2.
The following changes were introduced in Tails 4.5:
- Tails now starts on computers with Secure Boot enabled.
- Update *Tor Browser* to 9.0.9.
This update fixes several vulnerabilities in *Firefox*, including
some critical ones.
Documentation and website
- Updated our installation instructions to the support of Secure Boot:
* On PC:
* On Mac:
* When adding boot options:
- Added a link to try downloading from another mirror in case the
download fails. (#15754)
Click on Download USB image and the link below it changes.
- Fixed a buggy content reuse on the cloning instructions for
PC and Mac. (#17502)
- Added shortcuts to download for DVDs and virtual machines from
- Added a **Skip download** link on the download only pages. (#17549)
- Implemented the terminology *Persistent Storage* consistently in all
our documentation. (#8948)
- Renamed *Tails Greeter* into *Welcome Screen*. (#15122)
- Documented that importing OpenPGP public keys using the *Passwords and
Keys* utility is broken since Tails 4.0 (October 2019). (#17183)
- Documented that opening *VeraCrypt* volumes fails if the passphrase is
more than 64 characters long. (#17474)
- Removed warnings about *Electrum* not working in Tails (#17581)
- Andrés Fernández Cordón finished the illustrations for the new
Home and About pages.
sajolida finished writing and testing the written content and most of
the responsive web design.
- Changed our sidebar to a top bar. (#15112)
It has a better contrast for accessibility, prevents right-rail
blindess, and is more visible on mobile.
- Sent 2 grant applications:
* To the OTF Core Infrastructure Fund to improve the user experience
of connecting to Tor and using Tails to circumvent censorship.
* To Reset.tech to integrate mobile messaging applications (Signal,
Telegram, Wire, Matrix, etc.).
- Redesigned our **Donate** button to fit in the top bar, even on
- Added ourselves to a list of non-profits who accept lumens:
## All the website
- fr: 85% (5541) strings translated, 7% strings fuzzy
- es: 49% (3172) strings translated, 7% strings fuzzy
- de: 32% (2087) strings translated, 13% strings fuzzy
- it: 29% (1878) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy
- fa: 23% (1551) strings translated, 13% strings fuzzy
- pt: 22% (1479) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy
## Core pages of the website
- fr: 85% (1577) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
- es: 83% (1538) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
- it: 55% (1023) strings translated, 21% strings fuzzy
- de: 55% (1012) strings translated, 22% strings fuzzy
- pt: 41% (772) strings translated, 17% strings fuzzy
- fa: 28% (524) strings translated, 19% strings fuzzy
## Core pages of the website for languages not activated on the website yet
- zh_TW: 28% (427) strings translated, 12% strings fuzzy
- zh: 14% (225) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy
- ru: 10% (160) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy
- pl: 8% (133) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy
- tr: 8% (133) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy
- ar: 7% (119) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy
- ca: 7% (115) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy
- id: 5% (91) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
- sr_Latn: 4% (62) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy
* Tails has been started more than 936 560 times this month. This
makes 31 219 boots a day on average.
That's 8.7% more than in March and the biggest increase in usage since
2015. It's most likely due to the COVID-19 quarantine and people
staying at home but it might also be a good sign from the support of
Secure Boot and an easier adoption by new users.
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/
UX · Fundraising · Technical Writing
More information about the tor-project