[tor-project] Anti-censorship team monthly report: April 2020
phw at torproject.org
Fri May 1 03:16:12 UTC 2020
Here's what the anti-censorship team has been up to in April:
* Merged Turbo Tunnel features into Snowflake. (Allows persisting a
session across separate proxies.)
Merging into Tor Browser is pending:
* Implemented measures to hand out more restrictive proxies less often.
* Split Snowflake into two repositories(one for Go, one for the
web-based proxy code).
* Updated pion webrtc in Tor Browser.
* Moved forward with creating a feedback loop between OONI and BridgeDB.
Work-in-progress code is available at:
* Removed PGP support from BridgeDB. The feature has been broken for
quite a while, is overly complex, and not particularly useful.
* Renamed a bunch of source code files in BridgeDB, so they no longer
collide on a file system that's case insensitive.
* Made BridgeDB's email responder more usable. The instructions are now
more clear and it will return with bridges no matter what -- even if
the user's request was malformed.
* Improved a Python script that tests BridgeDB's email responder by
periodically sending email.
* Made progress towards improving the robustness of BridgeDB's email
autoresponder, so it no longer gets confused by Gmail's
* Fixed a bug caused by malformed email addresses.
* Refactored to remove duplicate code.
* Cleaned up logs.
* Fixed a bug in the service shutdown code.
* Removed a bunch of old GetTor code.
* Reviewed a submission for the Tor Research Safety Board.
* Moved forward with creating a "censorship snapshot" that encodes how
each country blocks Tor. Eventually, this snapshot should help Tor
Browser figure out how to best circumvent in each country.
* Built a prototype of a lightweight censorship analyser that's meant to
be run by censored users. It can help us create the censorship
snapshot in #28531.
* Created a new mailing list for anti-censorship service outage alerts.
If this interests you, you can subscribe here:
* We organised two reading groups, in which we discussed the following
More information about the tor-project