[tor-project] Tor Browser Team Meeting Notes, 23 March 2020

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Mon Mar 30 17:35:30 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

We held our weekly meeting on 23 March, 2020. The meeting log is
available at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting2/2020/tor-meeting2.2020-03-23-17.59.log.txt

During that meeting we improving our release process and which
responsibilities can be distributed differently across members of the
team.

================================
Week of March 23, 2020

    Please tag transition/migration tickets for S58
    Retrospective
    Dockshackathon this week - Is there anything missing in the Tor Browser Manual we could add during this week?
    Release management

pospeselr:

    Last week:

    - #19251 code review

    - #33534 (release notes/tickets review)

    -   Made it halfway through FF74 tickets, should have the ticket short list by EOD

    This week:

    - #33534 -> rest of FF74 and FF75

mcs and brade:
    Last week:
        - Code reviews.
        - Revised patch for #19251 (onion services error page).
        - Helped with #33672 (Force include https-everywhere in incremental mar update).
        - Responded to Thomas Klausner (NetBSD) on tbb-dev (Tor Launcher questions).
    This week/upcoming:
        - Review latest patch for #21952 (Onion-Location).
        - Review latest patch for #28005 (.onions in HTTPS-E).
        - Review rebased updater patches (#33533).
        - Revisit #30732 (“Your Firefox is critically out of date" banner).
        - Revisit #32418 (on every start TB complains that it can't update).
        - Investigate #29630 (TorBrowser creates empty directory in "/tmp”).

sisbell:
   Last Week:
   #33685: zlib support for Android (in review)
   #31499: Update libevent 2.1.11: tested across platforms, don’t need osx path with latest (in review)
   #28765: Libevent for Android: update rbm,conf so we include options across all platforms (windows, Mac, linux). Verified building for each. (In review)
   #28766: tor build for android, includes zlib support (in review)
   Fenix:
   #33557: Android Toolchain for Fenix: fix bin path
   #33561: Upgrade openssl to use Android NDK 21
   This Week:
   Follow up on reviews of Android Tor Support (priority)
   Fenix:
   #33564, #33565, #33562 -libevent, zstd, lzma for NDK 21
   #33626: Add TBB project for GeckoView

Jeremy Rand:
    Last week:
        - Got some test reports via r/Namecoin.  Much of it was constructive.
        - Lower productivity than usual due to isolation precautions to avoid COVID-19.
    This week:
        - Relay r/Namecoin test reports to tor-talk mailing list, file bugs where appropriate, ask for additional clarification from testers where appropriate.
        - Try asking for more test reports via Twitter, maybe elsewhere in my social graph.

boklm:
    Last week:
        - Made a patch for #33672 (Force include https-everywhere in incremental mar update)
        - Rebased patch for #25102 (Add script to sign nightly build mar files, generate update-responses xml and publish the new version)
        - Helped with new releases
        - Monitored blog comments
    This week:
        - Some reviews
        - Work on proposal for quilt workflow
        - Work on testsuite setup
        - Work on setup of automatic rebasing of tor-browser patches on mozilla-central
        - Help with getting rebased patches from #33533 building in tor-browser-build

pili:
    Last week:
        - trac triage
        - Tor Browser release meeting
        - Started putting together Sponsor58 page for transition to Fenix: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor58
        - Started tagging S58 tickets: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?sponsor=^Sponsor58&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority
    This week:
        - trac triage
        - S58
        - Docshackathon
        - S27 March report

sysrqb:
    Last week:
        - Release prep for 9.0.7
        - Firefox bug
        - Chatted with sisbell about Fenix
        - Made progress on macOS signing/notarization
        - Investigated https-everywhere downgrade question
    This week:
        - Releasing 9.0.7, release prep 9.5a9, releasing 9.5a9
        - Finally looking at acat's rebasing work?

acat:
    Last week:
        - Revised #28005 (Officially support onions in HTTPS-Everywhere to use securedrop testing update channel.)
        - Revised #21952 (Onion-location)
        - Updated Onion-Location spec to match current implementation.
    This week:
        - Possibly revise #28005, #21952.
        - Try to get #33533 working in tor-browser-build (will try boklm suggestion)
        - Get browser unit tests working for #33533?