[tor-project] Notes from Vegas Meeting MARCH 26 2020
ewyatt at torproject.org
Fri Mar 27 23:54:25 UTC 2020
Vegas Team Meeting notes
March 26 2020
tor releases: we are thinking on call them outside of the network team meetings and review each time with more people what is going in (similar than the Tor Browser release meetings). Thoughts?
- We are going to bring this back to the network team and move forward with release planning meetings.
We are going to be implementing onion-location headers on our websites to take advantage of a new feature we will introduce into Tor Browser in an upcoming alpha release to redirect visitors using tor-browser to the .onion address. We should coordinate this work to happen on websites at the same time as we release Tor Browser Alpha and also to make a nice announcement about it. We would also like to reach out to some orgs who are operating onion services to let them know about this new feature.
1. network health work is moving along
2. spent some time getting back to Coil and their issues with using Tor for Webpayments (spoiler alert: we found some weird breakae due to Cloudflare; following up on that this week)
3. more work on the licensing/copyright issue for TPI folks
4. getting back to onion service education coordination
5. H1 bug bounty fun
1. Major donor virtual happy hour tonight
2. Will follow up with 1:1s with attendees
3. Moving onto plans for April 13th foundation presentation
4. Working on projections for FY21
• 1. working on s30 user research, listening ICFP fellow interviews in Cameroon and Nigeria. Due covid-19 the scheduled interviews are going to 2. continue remotely
• 3. planning remote user research for s9
• 4. working with onions in multiple salads, closing s27
• 5. moving forward with diogosergio's proposal for design git
• 6. #docshackathon: working on having Tor Browser's new features highlights in a webpage
• 7. tagging s58 ux issues
• 1. DoS follow up on funding proposals
• 2. Gitlab migration plans
• 3. syncs with ahf & nick and follow ups
• 4. tor releases: we are thinking on call them outside of the network team meetings and review each time with more people what is going in
1. getting ready for today's event and the follow up after that
2. following up with some discussions/email threads that I was behind w/
3. preparing things for the next board meeting
1. Preparing for today's event, adding new slides
2. Working with OTF Learning Lab
3. Press inquiries
4. Remote work and personal safety post published
5. Invited to do a podcast
6. Social media
1. HS DoS experiments and literature review
2. Employee peer reviews
3. Press inquiry help
1. Had 1:1:1 with Gaba and Nick. Some follow ups from that.
2. Had Gitlab meeting with Gaba where we went over the list of issues that remained and tried to make a plan.
3. GeKo and I started having weekly sbws meetings with Juga.
4. General development.
5. Concentration back to normal this week.
1. Bad concentration this week; but trying to get back into productivity. Experience has taught me not to try to force it too hard.
2. Trying to write end-of-month notes, and including the question "what is my job anyway". Let's see how that goes.
1. DocsHackathon week! If you want to join us, jump on #tor-www IRC channel!
2. Running new Outreachy project and onboarding new applicants
3. Network Health: worked with Steph to announce 0.2.9 and 0.4.0 rejection from the tor network
4. Drafting an email to contact our training partners
1. Starting to wrap up S27 and taking stock of what we have achieved.
• - We are going to be implementing onion-location headers on our websites to take advantage of a new feature we will introduce into Tor Browser in an upcoming alpha release to redirect visitors using tor-browser to the .onion address. We should coordinate this work to happen on websites at the same time as we release Tor Browser Alpha and also to make a nice announcement about it. We would also like to reach out to some orgs who are operating onion services to let them know about this new feature.
2. Helping outreachy and GSoC candidates
3. Pushing github sponsors forward and some other github admin.
4. Trying to get Same-Origin Onion Certificates for Tor Onion Addresses scheduled and possibly funded. I need to write an email about this.
5. Docshackathon and other website work this week.
6. Setting up for S58
7. Planting lots of herb and vegetable seeds and obsessively watching for germination :)
1. whoa, weird color
2. investigated possible solutions for onion v3 deployment in our fleet, will require puppet development work
3. (basic) install of the new ganeti server with a single command, automation is starting to give us real benefits
4. started the migration of kvm3, you might have seen some tickets warning you about server moves, let me know if you have any questions
5. deployed a new IRC bot to automate IRC notifications for planned outages
6. did research on the possibilities hosting our own audio and/or video conferencing software in #33700
7. regular housekeeping (email aliases, code reviews, smartd SNAFU #33684
1. HR/Personnel Stuff
2. Still chipping away at things, trying to stay focused amid all the craziness
1. Made some progress on sponsor 30 deliverables
2. Found some time to help out volunteers
1. Rewrote OnionPerf's tgen plots in seaborn and pandas (#33258).
2. Worked on various character encoding tickets (#24384, #21933).
1. Working on some new documentation drafts with the help of gaba for meetings and organizing ourselves on the non-technical side
2. Trying to still meet with everyone on Vegas to get a sense of their action items needed from Isa
3. Slowly coming up with a system for organizing and integrating the tools we use like NextCloud
4. Getting ready for tonights event
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 874 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP
More information about the tor-project