[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 19 Mar 2020

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Thu Mar 19 19:01:32 UTC 2020

Hi friends,

Here is our meeting summary:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-03-19-17.59.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Anti-censorship work meeting pad
--------------------------------

Next meeting: Thursday March 19th 18:00 UTC

Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).

== Goal of this meeting ==

Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.

== Links to Useful documents ==

    * Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
        * Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets. For 2020 Q1, the trac keyword is anti-censorship-roadmap-2020Q1
        * Next planning session: last week of April
    * The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
    * Past meetings' notes can be found at: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/
    * GetTor's roadmap: https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
    * Tickets that need reviews:  from sponsors we are working on:
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
        * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor28
    * Anti-censorship related tickets that we want other teams to fix:
        * https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-tickets-keep

-------------------------
---  March 19th 2020   --
-------------------------

== Announcements ==

    *

== Discussion ==

    * Let's talk about the next steps to get snowflake to an "MVP" so it can be useful to users.
        * When is it a good time to blog about what we've been up to wrt snowflake? Before/after the TurboTunnel merge?
    * How about every two weeks, we pick a project or a paper and discuss it, reading group-style?
        * We could talk about it during our IRC meetings or over at https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues
        * Ideally, we would exchange ideas about the benefits/issues of a project; how Tor could benefit from it; etc.
        * The goal is for us to stay up to date on recent developments and learn from each other.

== Actions ==

    *

== Interesting links ==

    *

== Updates ==

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Next week:
        - What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

phw:
  This week (2020-03-19):
        * Wrote February 2020 report
            * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2020-March/002774.html
        * Identified and contacted bridges that run soon-to-be-obsolete Tor versions
            * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32672#comment:42
        * Added a bunch of new papers to CensorBib
        * Some catching up on Sponsor 28 emails
        * Reviewed several docker, GetTor, and BridgeDB patches
        * Tried to figure out if #33464 really is a problem (it isn't)
        * Addressed remaining feedback for #33008, merged, and deployed
        * Filed #33630 to get noisebridge01 removed from list of default bridges
            * It's been unmaintained for a looong time
        * Realised that BridgeDB doesn't let bridges *change* their distribution mechanism and filed #33631 to get it fixed
            * ...the fix is more invasive than I thought, though
        * More coordination on our monitoring infrastructure (#31159)
            * Our sysmon instance was broken, resulting in us not knowing that our UMN default bridge was down :(
        * Spent way too much time trying to figure out why BridgeDB's overly complicated installation procedure is now broken
            * ...still not clear :(
  Next week:
        * Write a summary of our current BridgeDB distribution mechanisms and brainstorm new ones
        * Pay attention to volunteer work (help agix with BridgeDB reviews; thymbahutymba with docker; Sergey with https proxy)
        * Make BridgeDB report internal metrics (#31422)
        * Catch up on RACE; in particular wrt obfs4 improvements
  Help with:
        *

Gaba: ()
   Last week (2020-03-12):
        * not much related to anti-censorship
    This week (planned):
        * not much related to anti-censorship

cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2020-03-19
Last week:
    - finished Tor browser patch to update pion (#33576)
    - Revise GetTor help (and links) message (#23226)
    - removed server-webrtc (#33636)
    - final edit passes for NSF grant
    - worked on a Snowflake package for Debian (#19409)
    - helping with update of obfs4proxy debian package
    - remove server-webrtc from snowflake repo (#33636)
    - reviews of #33008, #33638
    - talked with alwayslivid about telegram bot for GetTor (#22011)
    - prepared for potential snowflake repo split (#33593)

This week:
    - maybe continue work on throughput check (#32938)
    - make a Snowflake package for debian (#19409)
    - Resume obfs4 and snowflake tests (#31701, #32657, and #32545)
    - look at options for getting STUN information to snowflake clients (#25591)
    - make sure obfs4proxy debian package gets updated
    - take a look at reviving the twitter responder in GetTor (#33036)

Needs help with:
    - Update Snowflake license (#33637)
    - Review of GetTor help/links message update (#23226)
    - Decision and review of snowflake repo split (#33593)

arlolra: 2020-03-19
    Last week:
        - some snowflake refactoring (#33638) and review
        - #33665
    Next week:
        - maybe the proxy parts of #19026
        - start on #31201
    Help with:
        -

dcf: 2020-03-19
    Last week:
        - reviewed snowflake proxy throughput tests (#32938)
        - filed a ticket for a needed security upgrade for the snowflake bridge (#33644)
        - let snowflake-turbotunnel handle simultaneous SOCKS connections (#33519)
    Next week:
        - announce snowflake-turbotunnel Tor Browser packages with 9.5a8
        - file ticket for snowflake-turbotunnel merge
        - share access to the snowflake broker CDN configuration (#30510)
    Help with:

cjb: 2020-03-19
   Last week:
    - gonna be afk with kids
   Next week:
   Help with:

agix:2020-03-19
    Last week:
        - Opened #33647 (Minor updates to BridgeDB's dependencies)
        - Worked on the GSoC proposal
        - Fixed broken patch for #31967
    Next week:
        - Continue on #31967 and #31426
    Help with:
        -

catalyst: 2020-03-19
    last week:
        - did some s28/s30 prioritization with ahf
        - helped cohosh with some Debian packaging related things
    this week:
        - work on some s28/30 tickets, e.g., #5304

thymbahutymba: 2020-03-12
    Last week:
        - docker-compose for obfs4-bridge (#31834)
        - multiarch docker obfs4 images #33461 (even though is more then a week ago)
        - reported issue concerning #31834 (comment 25)
    Next week:
    Help with:

Hiro: (last updated before 2020-01-09)
    Started restoring Twitter Responder.
        When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
    Next Week:
      - Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
      - More with review of strings and website content and translation