[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 9 March 2020

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Mon Mar 16 15:59:48 UTC 2020

Hello,

Here is a short summary of the network team meeting from Monday the 9th of
March 2020.

1) We started out with roadmap.

2) Reviews seemed alright.

3) We went over our 0.4.3 status page.

4) We discussed if we should do post-TROVE retrospectives. We should discuss
   that at our next retrospective.

5) To focus on S55 Teor has dropped some tasks that the rest of us should be
   better at keeping up with if we have capacity for it.

6) We discussed a queue system for topics for our larger team voice meetings.

7) Nick asked if there was any objections to using CBOR for Walking Onions.

8) Nobody had anything else to discuss.

--- end of summary ---

You can read the network team meeting log at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-03-09-16.59.html

Below are the contents of our meeting pad:

Nick:

    Week of 2 Mar (planned):
        - Start on walking onions spec work:
            - Write a working schedule
            - Identify areas of uncertainty, start investigating them.
            - Start outlining proposals
        - Speaking at a workshop about decntralized web stuff on Wed, possibly Thu.
        - Team retrospective on Tuesday, right?
        - Finish all peer evaluations
    Week of 2 Mar (actual):
        - Started on walking onions spec work.  Made LOTS of progress. See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2020-March/014178.html for details
        - Spoke at workshop on Wednesday.  Was interesting and met good people; not sure if I should have spent a full day.
        - Wrote peer evaluations
        - Updated HS config refactor branch
        - Review and merge
        - Peer feedback evaluations
    Week of 9 Mar (planned):
        - Continue work on walking onions spec:
            - Write initial draft spec for ENDIVE and SNIP formats.
            - Schedule the rest of the work
        - Prepare for new stable and alpha releases, targetting 16 March:
            - Finalize TROVE fixes?
            - Write draft advisories, get comments
        - Review and merge
        - Send an email to grants@ about stuff we should seek funding for.
        - Draft bug retrospective notes, using https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-bugs-retro-042-keep as input.
        - Meetings: library size work (monday), NY meeting planning (thursday??)
    Currently postponing on:
        - progress on C autoformatting
        - 043 tickets, including some that seem important:
            - Build issue 33437
            - Windows issue 24857

catalyst:

    week of 03/02 (2020-W10) (planned):
        - retrospective 03/03
        - catch up on reviews
        - write feedback
    week of 03/02 (2020-W10) (actual):
        - reviewed #32921, #33460
        - retrospective 03/03
        - wrote some feedback
    week of 03/09 (2020-W11) (planned):
        - reviews
        - refresh expired PGP key on various infrastructure
        - finish writing feedback

ahf:
    Week of 2/3 2020 (planned):
        - Talk about Tor Browser at the Engineering Union here in DK on Thursday. Will be AFK some of that day DK time, but online in the evening.
        - Retrospective
        - Work on Git migration to new GL instance
        - Start merging peer review.
        - Lots of discussions.
        - Slightly behind on reviews. Planning on catching up on that Friday.
    Week of 2/3 2020 (actually):
        - Had retrospective.
        - Did talk at the Engineering Union.
        - Tracked incoming peer reviews from network team folks. I have everything now from everybody! Thanks.
        - Caught up on reviews.
        - Continued GL migration work, but still not on the new instance yet.
    Week of 9/3 2020 (planned):
        - Focus on TROVE and Windows CPU issue with cache dir (#24857).
        - Try to close IRC and email a bit this week to focus :-)

asn:
   Week of 02/03 (actual):
   - Reviews
   - Peer feedback
   - Did another call for testing for OBv3.
   - Worked on HTTPS-Everywhere S27 deliverable.
   - Worked on onion services DoS meeting planning.
   Week of 09/03 (planned):
   - Finish CI work for OBv3.
   - Write blog post for OBv3 testing.
   - Prepare packages for OBv3.
   - More planning for DoS stuff.

dgoulet:
  Last week (actual):
    - Review and merges.
    - Wrote feedback reviews
    - DoS meeting logistics
    - Spent some times figuring out #33491.
  Week of March 9th (planned):
    - Tor binary and library size meeting. Some work will probably spawn from
      that.
    - Planning for DoS meeting. Meeting on Wed. for that.
    - A series of tickets in the pipe that needs code: #33458, #33491, #32542,
      #32910, #33072, #33400

Gaba:

    Last week (actual):

    - s30 check-ins

    - s69 kick-off

    - nyc traveling

   Week of February 24th (planned)

      - more nyc traveling

teor: (online first meeting of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

   Week of 24 February (planned):
       (No plans)

   Week of 24 February (actual):
       Important:
           - Emails and IRC
           - Meetings
           - Outreachy IPv6 project
           - Feedback
           - Network Health / Sponsor 55 Relay Proposal
       Roadmap:
           - (No progress)
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews and ticket help

   Week of 2 March (planned):
       (No plans)

   Week of 2 March (actual):
       Important:
           - Emails and IRC
           - Meetings
           - Outreachy IPv6 project
           - Feedback
           - Network Health / Sponsor 55 Relay Proposal
       Roadmap:
           - (No progress)
       Other:
           - Ticket triage, backport deciding, quick code reviews and ticket help

Mike:
    week of 19 Feb (planned):
        - Investigate/reproduce circpad shutdown bugs (#30992 and chutney warns); plan some fixes
        - Mull over Research Janitor responsibilities and priorites
        - Maybe review metrics-team tickets
    week of 19 Feb (actual):
        - Still discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
    week of 24 Feb (planned):
        - Cashing in some banked overtime dayz (Monday+Tuesday)
        - Probably keep discussing Reasearch Janitor role priorities
        - Performance funding proposal work
        - Metrics-team flashflow experiment+sbws review
        - circpad bugs I hope? Coin toss for that vs metrics-team review
          (though the metrics work is pretty cold now anyway... maybe it can wait some more)

jnewsome:
    week of 03/02 (2020-W09) (planned):
        - Phantom design and prototyping
        - Create Tor tickets for "build for shadow"
        - Add nightly CI workflow to shadow repo to test against tor at head
    week of 03/02 (2020-W09) (actual):
        - Rebased Shadow-Phantom onto tip of Shadow-master and got CI passing again
        (by disabling most of it)
        - Solidified plan for Shadow-Phantom's interposition strategy, sent a PR to
        use it and re-enable now-covered CI tests
        - Sent out proposal for shared-memory-IPC plan
        - Added a CI configuration matrix to shadow-plugin-tor to test against last
        few releases of Tor
    week of 03/09 (2020-W10) (planned):
        - Flesh out Shadow-Phantom libc/syscall coverage to run phold (simple
        network benchmark)
        - Migrate shadow and shadow-plugin-tor to tgen v1.0.0
        - Create Tor tickets for "build for shadow"
        - Add nightly CI workflow to shadow repo to test against tor at head

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy